lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Shadder
Not Yet Wild

Default Reliance Voltage reducer ignition wire question

Is there somewhere else I would be able to connect the ignition wire of the Reliance? I am hoping there is somewhere under the seat by the batteries I could connect it instead of going all the way to the ignition switch. Also, can I just remove and have it function without it? Most of these voltage reducers don't even have one, but I liked the idea of this one that has the multiple connections for both the lights and radio. Thanks in advance for the help. I have a EZGO 36V TXT.
Shadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reliance Voltage reducer ignition wire question

I’m not familiar with that specific brand but it sounds like you’re saying it has a trigger wire to turn it on and off, correct?

It’s a good thing to have so that it’s not on constantly. The key switch, or whatever other switch you would like to use, is how most people do it. I have a three position switch, with the second position triggering the reducer, so I can run the lights, radio, etc and not worry about accidentally launching the cart.

It’s a really short run to the key switch, or dash area, btw.

You could put a switch inline under the seat, if you wanted to go that route, but why? To save yourself 4’ Of wire and about 15 minutes?

The other option is just to run power to it without any switch, but then it’s on all of the time.

You mentioned liking this reducer because it has multiple connections. Usually you just run the 12v out of the reducer to a marine fuse block, which has multiple taps. Do the same with the -. Run it to a buss bar and connect the - for each accessory to that.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Shadder
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Orangeman!! You bring up some good points and helped!! I appreciate it..
Shadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Orangeman, we install this reducer a lot. There's actually two outputs, one constant-on, great for headlights, or radio memory wires, and the one the OP is talking about (the key-on trigger) is a switched 12 VDC output, good for radio or accessory wires that would otherwise drain batteries. The trigger wire only controls the latter output.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ahh, that sounds like a good setup. I hadn’t seen anything like that with two different 12v outputs. Shadder, sorry if I confused the situation.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Many TXTs only have power to the key when the F&R is in a F or R position (series type TXTs), no power when in-between those spots. And most people think that's unacceptable for the trigger wire for their DC converter. It can be done tho.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I do know the PDS and TXT48 has power there, we used to put LED bar graph battery gauges in and used one of the two terminals to trigger it on only with the key on. No reducer in that setup but there is a switched 36/48V there.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #8
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I actually have a series, but I changed the way mine was wired so I could do was I was telling the op to do, then changed it again after installing the reversing contactor and wanting the R warning to come on before the pedal was depressed. The crux of all of that was I had forgotten how mine was originally wired. I know cgtech is a guru, so I went back and reviewed an original series wiring diagram. Now i got it.

I'll try to be more careful with my "help"
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO