lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
Webbie1
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Gas Carryall 2 - what to look at when buying

I'm considering buying a 1989 gas carryall 2 for tooling around my 1 acre lot and using it for lawn maintenance, etc. The one I'm considering looks decent for its age, but I'm wondering if there's any "gotcha" items on it that I should be taking a close look at before buying it. I know it's got some age, so I'm not sure if parts availability is an issue - but my limited research on these things seems to indicate that parts availability isn't typically an issue. You experts can confirm or deny that. I'm a total beginner on these things, so I appreciate any and all advice, suggestions, tips, etc on this.

Thanks guys,

Warner
Webbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 Gas Carryall 2 - what to look at when buying

Personally, I would either plan on replacing the motor with a clone or a v-twin or something similar at some point down the line. That will have the older KF82 engine, which isnt hard to work on, but parts are difficult to find. You'll see guys on here that swarm to anybody parting out a KF82 just to stock up and get things while you can :) it's not a bad engine by any means, very solid and reliable. Just can be tough finding parts when they break

All depends on the price and condition of the cart though.

You might have better luck with a 1993 or newer that has the FE290 motor in it, parts.arent a problem on those. FE290's are a dime a dozen.

Just my .02
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Webbie1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Personally, I would either plan on replacing the motor with a clone or a v-twin or something similar at some point down the line. That will have the older KF82 engine, which isnt hard to work on, but parts are difficult to find. You'll see guys on here that swarm to anybody parting out a KF82 just to stock up and get things while you can :) it's not a bad engine by any means, very solid and reliable. Just can be tough finding parts when they break

All depends on the price and condition of the cart though.

You might have better luck with a 1993 or newer that has the FE290 motor in it, parts.arent a problem on those. FE290's are a dime a dozen.

Just my .02
Your .02 is appreciated. The guy is asking $1,300 for it. It runs. That's about all I know. I was thinking that if I could pick it up for a grand it may not be a bad deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf cart 1.jpg (127.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart 2.jpg (132.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart 3.jpg (124.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart 4.jpg (104.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Webbie1
Not Yet Wild

Another guy has this 1990 model (not a carryall). Says it has spark but won't start. Last ran in August. He went to move it in his pole barn and it won't start. No further details. But he's asking $750 for it.

UPDATE: The guy just messaged me and said they found out it just needs a head gasket, so he's going to keep it and fix it himself. I told him I was going to keep looking. Then he replied that I could have it for $750 but had to pick it up tonight or tomorrow.....so I'm going to pass...seems like a game player.

Warner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990 club car.jpg (38.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1990 club car 2.jpg (42.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1990 club car 3.jpg (27.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah, I'd have to agree about the blue one. I don't like games either.

Not a bad deal on the carryall. Listen to the motor, when they run right they should be pretty quiet. You'll really like the bed, really a handy machine to have around.

But, at that price, like I said, worst case, run it. Plan for an engine swap down the road and you can pretty easily put in a predator 420 motor or something equivalent and really wake that thing up. The engine mount in a club car is pretty flat and easy to adapt to mount something else into it.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #6
Webbie1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Yeah, I'd have to agree about the blue one. I don't like games either.

Not a bad deal on the carryall. Listen to the motor, when they run right they should be pretty quiet. You'll really like the bed, really a handy machine to have around.

But, at that price, like I said, worst case, run it. Plan for an engine swap down the road and you can pretty easily put in a predator 420 motor or something equivalent and really wake that thing up. The engine mount in a club car is pretty flat and easy to adapt to mount something else into it.
Good advice. Yeah, I'm pretty trusting by nature, because I can be trusted. But when something like that happens, I can only take it one way. The guy with the carryall seems pretty decent so far in the talks. I don't really have an inside location for it at the moment.....may be able to move some stuff around in my garage, I may be able to work some magic.

Thanks again,

Warner
Old 01-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
Webbie1
Not Yet Wild

The guy with the Carryall said I can have it for a grand. That might be too good of an offer to pass up......and the utility of that thing would be AWESOME. Better than driving my lawn tractor around with the utility cart in tow....

Warner
Old 01-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd be all.over it. What are you waiting for?
Old 01-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
Webbie1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I have to do some measurements in my garage. I THINK I can move my log splitter and shift some other things around maybe. Looking at the dimensions, I need a little over 4 feet wide, by a little over 9 feet long.

Warner
Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
Webbie1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
If nothing else I could probably flip it for more come Springtime. But I have a feeling it's one of those things that I'm not going to want to let go of once I have it and see how cool and useful it is. Haha.

Warner
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car