lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Question

I bought an 05 CC that has only been used about 6 time. It has the original 12v Trojan batteries which I am going to replace in the spring since I am going to store the cart away in a month. The cart runs fine and I have the charger on the cart as we speak and I was looking the batteries over and I can see the sides are bulged out. The cart was stored in a heated building so I know they have never been frozen. What causes this and should I be concerned using the cart for a month?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Question

As batteries age they start to buldge as the material weakens do to heat and other stresses. Also, those batts are 6 years old It's probably time for new ones anyway. But, I think as long as they work for you and the voltages are close from batt to to batt, you should be ok for another month.

However: If you give them a good cleaning and they have the proper amount of water inside and take a charge, use them 'till they die!

Follow the battery stickies
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
As batteries age they start to buldge as the material weakens do to heat and other stresses. Also, those batts are 6 years old It's probably time for new ones anyway. But, I think as long as they work for you and the voltages are close from batt to to batt, you should be ok for another month.

However: If you give them a good cleaning and they have the proper amount of water inside and take a charge, use them 'till they die!

Follow the battery stickies

I knew I would need new batteries so I set the money aside for them already I just don't want to get them now since I will be storing it away in a month. I just wondered if this is normal and was still ok to use the cart. They work and charge fine and the voltages are very close to each other.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Normal on old barreries!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I bought an 05 CC that has only been used about 6 time. It has the original 12v Trojan batteries which I am going to replace in the spring since I am going to store the cart away in a month. The cart runs fine and I have the charger on the cart as we speak and I was looking the batteries over and I can see the sides are bulged out. The cart was stored in a heated building so I know they have never been frozen. What causes this and should I be concerned using the cart for a month?
I've seen many batteries with bulged sides! They are now made out of pretty thin plastic. I don't think it effects the performance at all. Sometimes I think this is caused by tightening the hold downs too tightly. All you need is to have them snug. I'm sure there are other causes too, but I don't believe it's anything to worry about!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

When checking the nut on the battery post for the cables, what in/lb should they be at? I always hate to over tighten things
Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't know the actual torque but don't bear down on it! I just use a 3/8's drive with the head of it in my hand and snug it tight. I don't ever use the handle for leverage. That would be too tight. Somebody will have the actual torque for you.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
freddmc
Gone Wild

freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

CC recommends battery terminals tightened to 110 in lbs (12.4 N m) . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just went out and did my three week charge maintenance on my stored cart. They will only charge to 50.4v (90%). Defiantly time to replace my 6 year old 12v in the spring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car