lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 club car solenoid diode ?

Is the placement of the diode on the solenoid of importance? I'm figuring since it's uni-directional it must have a reason. There's no markings for - or + on the solenoid and if I go by the schematic that I have it looks like the banded side (+?) of the diode is mounted to the same terminal as the the red wire to the control unit and the white/black wire to the micro switch on the F/R switch with the other terminal connecting the yellow wire to the control unit. Am I correct? Does it matter? Does the polarity of the big lugs matter?

Thanks for any help?
kramsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1994 club car solenoid diode ?

yes diode has to go with the silver band on it towards positive.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you are on the right track, The diode can be installed either direction BUT! The diode designates polarity of the activation circuit. The Band is on the + side.
What that means is whichever small post is on the banded end of the diode is the positive side of the activation circuit.
The activation circuit is the 2 small terminals, one gets + and the other gets -.
The big posts are both +

Any questions?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

So, if I've got this right.........the wiring of the two large posts doesn't matter in regards to polarity but the diodes placement itself will create the + and - sides of the small posts with the banded side creating the +. If I have this much correct, according the the wiring diagram I have, the positive side also connects with the red wire to the control unit and white/black wire to the F/R micro switch???????????????
Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You got it, the reason there is no polarity on the large posts is because the solenoid is a switch. So the battery cable coming in is the same one going out, when the solenoid activates
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
MichEE
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

correct scottyb - and the (+) band on the small post of the diode allows energy from the coil of the solenoid to release safely. If the diode is installed incorrectly then the energy from the closing solenoid could damage some of the other electronics in your system. See the following link for more info:
http://www.suregripcontrols.com/install_suppress.htm
MichEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

Red face Re: 1994 club car solenoid diode ?

Thanks for the info. Getting ready to rewire back up an old 36 volt 1994 club car ds that I picked up for $275 and if you saw it, you'd know why. Wires all cut, rusty connections, beat up body, etc..... Somebody started a rehab and gave up on the project because of lack of time and knowledge. The selling point was a freshly rebuilt high speed motor that tested great.

I took out everything, cleaned all connections, replaced worn bits and pieces, tested conduction from all points to points, tested restrictors, diode, etc.. replaced wires with 4 gauge, new solenoid.......everything looks brand new now (electrically). Am using the club car parts manual and whatever I can grab off of here for knowledge. Always been good with tools, reading diagrams and stuff but new to dc electronics. Already have a later model restrictor type Club Car at the campground but only ever had to play with bateries on that one. Picked this up for a winter project and a learning experience.

Everything is ready to go ( I hope ) only thing I haven't figured out how to bench test is, unfortunately, the controller itself but I figure that will show it's colors when I turn on the ignition? button for the first time.

Thanks again for the info and I'll post some pics and let you know how things go.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
MichEE
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramsee View Post
Thanks for the info. Getting ready to rewire back up an old 36 volt 1994 club car ds that I picked up for $275 and if you saw it, you'd know why. Wires all cut, rusty connections, beat up body, etc..... Somebody started a rehab and gave up on the project because of lack of time and knowledge. The selling point was a freshly rebuilt high speed motor that tested great.

I took out everything, cleaned all connections, replaced worn bits and pieces, tested conduction from all points to points, tested restrictors, diode, etc.. replaced wires with 4 gauge, new solenoid.......everything looks brand new now (electrically). Am using the club car parts manual and whatever I can grab off of here for knowledge. Always been good with tools, reading diagrams and stuff but new to dc electronics. Already have a later model restrictor type Club Car at the campground but only ever had to play with bateries on that one. Picked this up for a winter project and a learning experience.

Everything is ready to go ( I hope ) only thing I haven't figured out how to bench test is, unfortunately, the controller itself but I figure that will show it's colors when I turn on the ignition? button for the first time.

Thanks again for the info and I'll post some pics and let you know how things go.
glad to help and looking forward to seeing some pics!!
MichEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car