lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: More power out of 87 DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlott View Post
Hey Scotty, I assume that you've read my post above. My cart is not a Vglide, but has 5 microswitches in the grey box. It does have 48v solenoids, however. What do you think will malfunction first? My guess is the coils. I want very badly to upgrade to solid state, but funds won't allow it right now.
Hey md,

I've read the pros and cons on 8X6 & 6X8, and was curious how you decided. Curious since you said you neededgot new batteries. Also wondering how your coils and wires are holding up. Do they appear more burnt/degraded? Not gonna change mine till I can do the control package...just curious.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Hey md,

I've read the pros and cons on 8X6 & 6X8, and was curious how you decided. Curious since you said you neededgot new batteries. Also wondering how your coils and wires are holding up. Do they appear more burnt/degraded? Not gonna change mine till I can do the control package...just curious.
Hey Brush, I originally replaced the (6) 6 volt batteries in an attempt to restore it to stock configuration. After getting it running, it was very weak. At that point I decided to acquire 2 more batteries to convert it to 48 volt. I haven't noticed any adverse affects, YET. Maybe I won't, maybe stuff will burn up. I drove it all around the neighborhood this weekend after installing lift and tires. So far, so good. Power is pretty darn good, actually. No trouble turning those tires. On hills, it slows a good bit, but it's still faster than the 36v cart w/ stock wheels and tires was on flat ground.
mdlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
murderedc230
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

hmmm which solenoids did you replace???

Also Im curious as to what solid state is? im assuming a controller. I've been reading searches ive done for the past two days and have yet to physically see what it is. Are there links?
murderedc230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

Solid state just means it is a digital control. It consists of a potentiometer(digital) sending a digital signal (usually % of power dictated by throttle pedal) to a controller. Controller then controls amps to motor via a program that usually you can change up.
mkernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
murderedc230
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Anyone know anything about this?
http://www.teetimegolfcars.com/AllTr...457_CC_17.html
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ahh.... I see. I does make me wonder how our carts are/were so diffrent. My 36 has been in 7" of snow, pretty sandy trails with short, but very steep hills. Being stock, Ive been pretty impressed with mine so far. Granted, it is flat here, but my cart has answered every time I asked something from it. My batts are three years old too. Maybe its the new batts you had not being broken in yet?
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
murderedc230
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Okay so right now I see I will need solenoids, batteries, solid state, and a potentiometer correct??

Is there a company that offers a complete kit? Would I be able to reach at least 20mph?
Also will it still climb hills decently?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

If you actually convert over to solid state, then you will only need one solenoid. Solid state is nothing more than a description of your setup. But your best bet is to PM Scotty, or just call him, and let him know what you have, and what performance you want. He will let you know what you need. And he will have most of what you need, if not all.

I dont know what cart you have, but if you have resistors, then it is an old school cart. But if you don't then yours may be solid state and you will not need everything my resistor cart required.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
murderedc230
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

its a 87 club car ds... it has the several resister coils in the back... Found that out when my ground cable to the motor hit them installing the lift kit... OOPS lol

My wires don't look all that awesome either.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

I converted an 85 cc resistor cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car