lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: txt motor heat questions

My suggestion, Try the hill chip and see if it helps cause its only a $10-15 part...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
1. I should have went with the digital readout, but I figured the bar type would be easier for my wife. I wired it to stay on.
2. So the yellow jumpers wouldn't help out any?
3. Would more amps not equal more heat?
4. It never got weak just shut down and would barely creep until the weight got off of it.
5. Like I said I've only been into carts for two weeks. Mainly just ride around a campground with it. They wouldn't let me bring my Rzr. I don't really want to go crazy on performance stuff on this, but don't want any more problems.
1. Keeping wife happy is a very wise decision.
Personally, I prefer the old analog type to the bar graph type.
Reason, the bar graph types set 100% to the voltage they sense when first connected, which may or may not have been fully charged and some reset when they sense the battery is being recharged. Some people have good luck with them and others don't. I simple don't trust them.
Personally, I'm considering installing a big old analog SoC meter in addition to my DVM SoC for a "Fuel" gauge for SWMBO.

2. The J2 plug with a yellow jumper between pins 1&5 is the Mild Hill chip.
It limits top speed to about 14.5MPH (about 18 with 23" tires) and has mild regen braking.
Torque is the same since Amps = Torque and the max amps the controller can pass hasn't changed.

I put a switch in the short jumper (between pins 2&3) on a Freedom chip so I can run either in Freedom or Mild Hill mode.
Put switches in both jumpers and you can select all four modes.

3. Yes, more amps equals more heat, but to get more amps you need a different controller and controllers with higher ampacity are designed for it.

Also, you need cables capable of handing more amps. I'm not sure about a 2009, but I think the interconnecting cables in my battery pack were only 6Ga. I replaced all of them, plus all the rest (10 cable total) with 2Ga.

4. Both Thermal overload and Low voltage will make the controller go into a reduced performance mode. Put controller into diagnostic mode and count the beeps when it slows down to find out what it is balking at.

5. Those 23" tires might be too tall for a stock PDS controller, so smaller tires or a bigger controller may be in your future.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
Next question, if I only carry that load 5% of the time, does that justify spending $400 on it? This is just a campground cart. I guess I'm wanting to know, is the speed chip making it worse? I'm gonna guess it went about 4-5 miles before it kicked out. You have to haul your crap tank a mile down the road to the dump station. If I can make that trip I would be alright. I guess I was testing the limits yesterday.
The Mild Hill chip limits motor RPM to about 3300 instead of allowing to to reach the 4400 of the Freedom mode, so it might take longer to overheat.

The Steep Hill chip limits the motor to about 3100 RPM, but has much stronger regen braking, which might be a little much unless you're wearing seat belts.

The way the controller limits the motor RPM is by reducing the duty cycle of the Pulse Width Modulated DC (PWM) that feeds the motor, effectively reducing the Amps flowing to the motor.

A lighter foot on the throttle with the Speed chip installed would roughly equate to having one of the two "Hill" chips installed.

Or you could just pull the J2 plug out and be in the "All Terrain" mode.
That would give you about 16MPH with 23" tire and no regen braking.

If you've got a speed chip and a pair of wire cutters, you don't need to buy anything.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
GameOver
Not Yet Wild

I gotcha, so just put a switch in the center jumper. I will get one today at work. 20 MPH is a little scary with this lift and tires, plus there is a 15mph speed limit. Luckily im an electrician so i understand half the stuff yall are talking about. Thank you!
GameOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Be sure to put Run/Tow switch in Tow before doing any electrical work, otherwise you might blow controller.

If you haven't already, download the manuals from the Stickies.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO