lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
bushump
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default controller and motor help 04 Precedent

Hello,
Well......I may have screwed up this past weekend. I was driving through what I thought was shallow water that turned out not so shallow. I think water got up and touched the connections on the motor and possibly shorted out the controller. The controller it self didn't appear to get wet as it barely went over the floor board. Depth perception may have been off due to the beer:) LOL. Anyhow stopped working so I towed home and let dry over night. I tried in morning and could hear the solenoid clicking but nothing else so I unhooked batteries and letting sit until I get back up there this weekend. I have read to change out the rear axle oil and take apart the motor and clean it out, which I will do. Sounds like the controller may be shot though.

I was actually planning on changing controller, solenoid and cables this winter anyhow because I have a 6" lift kit with 22" all terrains that just doesn't have the torque to climb hills since I lifted. Do you guys think the motor is saveable? If not which motor to get with new controller. I have been looking at and reading good reviews on the Alltrax dcx 500 amp and was thinking of going that route.

Any suggestions you have on saving what's there, then suggestions on new upgrade package would be great as well.

Thanks for the help!!!
Brandon
bushump is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: controller and motor help 04 Precedent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushump View Post
Hello,
Well......I may have screwed up this past weekend. I was driving through what I thought was shallow water that turned out not so shallow. I think water got up and touched the connections on the motor and possibly shorted out the controller. The controller it self didn't appear to get wet as it barely went over the floor board. Depth perception may have been off due to the beer:) LOL. Anyhow stopped working so I towed home and let dry over night. I tried in morning and could hear the solenoid clicking but nothing else so I unhooked batteries and letting sit until I get back up there this weekend. I have read to change out the rear axle oil and take apart the motor and clean it out, which I will do. Sounds like the controller may be shot though.

I was actually planning on changing controller, solenoid and cables this winter anyhow because I have a 6" lift kit with 22" all terrains that just doesn't have the torque to climb hills since I lifted. Do you guys think the motor is saveable? If not which motor to get with new controller. I have been looking at and reading good reviews on the Alltrax dcx 500 amp and was thinking of going that route.

Any suggestions you have on saving what's there, then suggestions on new upgrade package would be great as well

Thanks for the help!!!
Brandon
Hey Brandon,

You may be surprised when you get back there this weekend, they can be pretty rugged even when wet. You are doing the right thing by disconnecting the battery pack and letting everything dry out. Also draining the fluid is always a great thing.

If you do find out that the controller and motor are pooched, there are some great suppliers on here that can help you out, I am also a supplier and would be happy to help you out as well, but probably best to check with the supporting vendors as they help make this forum go around. I will be becoming a supporting vendor shortly.

You can't go wrong with Alltrax we have had great luck with them and they are nice for being able to be programmed. You also want to take into consideration what you are doing with the cart, if it is for really hilly terrain or mildly hilly terrain etc... Then you can determine the right controller and motor combo for your application. Let us know if there is anything we can help with.
SC Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
bushump
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

well it seems to be dead after letting it dry out for over a week. What's the best way to start testing different things to make sure I am replacing what needs replaced.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

My money is on the controller. But it's a great idea to disassemble the motor and let it dry. I've repaired probably 50 carts that were submerged in ponds on local golf courses (once again from the beer) and I've had a 100% success rate by taking the motors out and letting them dry. The controllers however, are a 100% failure rate once they're submerged. Our cart detail guy at work before has even cooked a few IQ controllers just by washing the cars with the controller covers off.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
My money is on the controller. But it's a great idea to disassemble the motor and let it dry. I've repaired probably 50 carts that were submerged in ponds on local golf courses (once again from the beer) and I've had a 100% success rate by taking the motors out and letting them dry. The controllers however, are a 100% failure rate once they're submerged. Our cart detail guy at work before has even cooked a few IQ controllers just by washing the cars with the controller covers off.
David, that has been on my mind when I clean mine and never use a hose for fear of shorting something. Damp rag followed by a dry rag for me...
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
David, that has been on my mind when I clean mine and never use a hose for fear of shorting something. Damp rag followed by a dry rag for me...
If you ever feel like you've got water in it, Unplug the 16 pin plug on the controller and blow it out with pressurized air before you power it up.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
If you ever feel like you've got water in it, Unplug the 16 pin plug on the controller and blow it out with pressurized air before you power it up.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
bushump
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will be taking the motor apart and let it dry out this weekend. I know for sure the controller never was submerged in the water. I was driving slow and it didn't get that high before it quit running and we pushed it out. Do you think there is any chance that it is something besides the controller?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushump View Post
I will be taking the motor apart and let it dry out this weekend. I know for sure the controller never was submerged in the water. I was driving slow and it didn't get that high before it quit running and we pushed it out. Do you think there is any chance that it is something besides the controller?
Doubtful. I've seen wet motors, OBCs, solenoids, tow switches, etc... all recover from being wet but never a controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car