lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
aussieclubcar2002
Not Yet Wild

Question 2002 club car and alltrax 4855 charge problems

hi i am new to this forum and am here because i have run out of options...
my issue is...bought a 2002 club car and replaced the original controller and motor with a dd motor and alltrax 4855 controller..thing is i have it running great but doesn't seem to take a charge properly,using power drive charger...after a full round of golf the charger runs for 10 mins or so then switches off at around 18 amps on the gauge...before the motor and cont rebuild it would charge all night and the gauge on the charger would zero out then switch off...surely after 18 holes the charger should run for a few hours at least....is this a prob with the OBC or is it the controller....also should the controller led come on when i turn the key..i ask this because when i went to program the controller i have to lift the wheels and have them turning for the controller to light up and the controller program to recognise.....any help would be great......just to add...there were three small wires connected to the original solenoid besides the two main wires...two red and one yellow,one small red went to the power terminal where the 2ag wire connects the other red and yellow went to the small contacts on the solenoid.....is this correct........please please please any help would be great..
aussieclubcar2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 club car and alltrax 4855 charge problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieclubcar2002 View Post
hi i am new to this forum and am here because i have run out of options...
my issue is...bought a 2002 club car and replaced the original controller and motor with a dd motor and alltrax 4855 controller..thing is i have it running great but doesn't seem to take a charge properly,using power drive charger...after a full round of golf the charger runs for 10 mins or so then switches off at around 18 amps on the gauge...before the motor and cont rebuild it would charge all night and the gauge on the charger would zero out then switch off...surely after 18 holes the charger should run for a few hours at least....is this a prob with the OBC or is it the controller....also should the controller led come on when i turn the key..i ask this because when i went to program the controller i have to lift the wheels and have them turning for the controller to light up and the controller program to recognise.....any help would be great......just to add...there were three small wires connected to the original solenoid besides the two main wires...two red and one yellow,one small red went to the power terminal where the 2ag wire connects the other red and yellow went to the small contacts on the solenoid.....is this correct........please please please any help would be great..

Welcome to BGW!

Your solenoid activation wiring is correct. Your charger sounds like it has a bad rectifier. Can you try a different charger to see if it works properly?
Another way to light up the lLED on the Alltrax for programming would be with a jumper wire from Battery + to pin 1 on the control. This will power up the control without spinning the wheels.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
aussieclubcar2002
Not Yet Wild

yeh i was gonna try and find someone with another charger to try....just seems strange that its doing this since the rebuild as it was fine before..
Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
lmswest
Gone Wild

Im a bit confused, you say alltrax 4855 then you mention a rebuild twice? Is it a reworked st0ck controller ? an alltrax? or a rebuilt alltrax?
LED s not supposed to come on without pedal pushed, make a jumper wire like Scotty said Its WAY easier to play with the software when your not trying to hold the pedal and having the wheel spinning and vibrating etc etc
lmswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
aussieclubcar2002
Not Yet Wild

i replaced the stock controller and motor as i needed more torque...everything is fine except the charger will not stay on for long.....10 mins or so gets to bout 18 amps then cuts out...it can't be getting full charge...maybe bypass the obc and see if that works ????
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, you can do the OBC bypass, a second charger or trying your charger on another cart works too.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
aussieclubcar2002
Not Yet Wild

i bypassed the obi at the small grey wire with the yellow fuse holder behind the charger dock....charger turns on and stays on and i think its charging batts...stays on 20 amps on the gauge....am i correct in thinking the charger will not shut off once fully charged using this setup ??
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
i bypassed the obi at the small grey wire with the yellow fuse holder behind the charger dock....charger turns on and stays on and i think its charging batts...stays on 20 amps on the gauge....am i correct in thinking the charger will not shut off once fully charged using this setup ??

Not only will it not turn off but it will not follow the correct algorithm.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
aussieclubcar2002
Not Yet Wild

guess what....i was looking thru some old posts about obc,s....when i wired the new controller and motor i added large gauge wire...one wire went thru the obc not connected to anything,i thought this was to save length of wire.....apparently this hole has a sensor around it....i cut and managed to squeeze the larger wire thru this hole and guess what.....it works...hooray...thanks guys this forum is the best
Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
JohnDaMan
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
guess what....i was looking thru some old posts about obc,s....when i wired the new controller and motor i added large gauge wire...one wire went thru the obc not connected to anything,i thought this was to save length of wire.....apparently this hole has a sensor around it....i cut and managed to squeeze the larger wire thru this hole and guess what.....it works...hooray...thanks guys this forum is the best
Awesome! My wiring was so large I drilled the OBC some on my cart. It's surely taboo around this forum but it works just fine.
JohnDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car