lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
golfdude
Not Yet Wild

Default 04 precedent will not move

I put my 2004 club car precedent in storage 5 months ago(connected to charger). when i tried to get the cart to run i got no respone in forward or reverse. No reverse buzzer,nothing. I do however get the lights and a power port to work, they are wired direct to battery. i have tried one thing which is to jump with another cart with it in tow and the charger plugged in, still nothing. anyone have this problem?
The charger does not turn on anymore to recharge batteries.
golfdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 04 precedent will not move

have you checked voltage in each battery? have you load tested them?................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
one65r
Not Yet Wild

I'd say it's 95% chance that the batteries are just too dead to even kick the charger in. Does it have 4 12v batteries? If so, flip switch to TOW, Remove Negative battery lead, then remove the positive. May as well go ahead and unhook daisy chain of wires that connects all the batteries. Once batteries/electronics are isolated, I'd charge each battery for about 10 min on a rapid charge (40a, 65a, etc.) or whatever your charger has. Don't use the START setting for jumpstarting a vehicle because it's just too much power to put into a battery while charging. After you've charged the batteries about 10 min ea. hook everything up reversing the above list. Your charger should recognize that it's plugged in and kick on. Plan to let it charge a full cycle (could take 12-16 hours). Also, have you checked water level in batteries? You're really not suppose to fill dead batteries with distilled water, but if they are way down, I'd check them and just make sure the water is to the top of the plates. As they charge, the water level will rise. You don't want it to boil over, so I would only add enough water to just barely cover the plates inside. Let me know if this fixes it.
one65r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
one65r
Not Yet Wild

Also, if you have access to a working cart, plug your charger into it and make sure it kicks on. That way, you'll eliminate the possibility of any issues inside your charger.
one65r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'm leaning towards bad batteries as well. How old are they? If they're 12 volt batteries with any age to them this doesn't surprise me at all. The On-Board computer is designed to turn the charger on every 14 days and top-off the charge automatically. However, with old worn out batteries, they may lose so much voltage in those two weeks that the charger can't turn on because it doesn't have enough power to close the charger relay.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
golfdude
Not Yet Wild

100% chance the batteries are not any good. total voltage 28 for all 4 batteries.

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
golfdude
Not Yet Wild

how would i keep the batteries full of water while in storage?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Two things: When in storage, the batteries will self discharge and sulfate unless you keep them on a trickle charger or charge them every so often. They should not lose much water if you are only trickle charging them but they should be checked periodically. Make sure that there is no load at all on them as well. (My cart has a run/tow switch that isolates the batteries)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
how would i keep the batteries full of water while in storage?
i know they sell a self watering system....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car