lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging

Having recently suffered the woes of self discharging and all that comes with totally going dead on the batteries.

I read where you should leave your charger plugged in all the time?
After it completes the charge cycle, and auto shuts off, by leaving it plugged in, will it auto kick back on if you get too low. In winter, I may use my cart once a week, sometimes longer. So if I dont run it and discharge it, what is the best way to keep it fresh and preserve the batteries.

94 CC 48 volts.
Gydyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging

For storage purposes ... The 48v CC charger will cycle on every 28 days when left plugged in. Be sure to check the water levels every 60 days.

If you are using the cart once a week there is no need for you to leave it plugged in. Just charge it after each use.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, just dont want to do the terminal discharge again
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
For storage purposes ... The 48v CC charger will cycle on every 28 days when left plugged in. Be sure to check the water levels every 60 days.

If you are using the cart once a week there is no need for you to leave it plugged in. Just charge it after each use.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

One thing that can't be emphasized enough is keeping the batteries clean and dry on top. They need to be washed, preferably with a baking soda solution, being careful to not get any in the cells, of course. If you do nothing else, hose them off with fresh water, maybe use a paint brush to help scrub off the dirt.

I learned this lesson many years ago, with one of the old 6-volt batteries in a tractor. Those batteries had exposed cell connectors, so there were more places for the electrolyte to leak out, and more/shorter electrical leakage paths across the top of the battery. This battery was dirty on top ("tractor"), but I don't remember if it was visibly moist or not. At any rate, it would go dead literally overnight or within a couple of days at most. I removed it from the tractor and scrubbed the top clean, then reinstalled it. No problem holding a charge for weeks after that! Lesson learned!
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

I know on boats we would just sprinkle Baking Soda on the floor/carpet and hose it down, what mixture you use on a buggy?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

The mixture of baking soda to water isn't all that critical. When it hits anything that's acidic, it'll "fizz". If you put more on, it'll fizz some more if there's more acid to neutralize. If the acid is neutralized, there will be no fizzing. If your mixture is a bit weak, you might have to put it on the battery twice or 3 times.

What I usually do is mix up a batch in a tin can, cut-off water bottle, or whatever. Warm water works better, as the baking soda will dissolve easier. Then, I use a paint brush to apply it. If you keep the caps on the batteries, you should be OK as far as NOT getting it into the cells. Rinse with fresh water.

If I have compressed air available, I'll sometimes blow off the excess water, otherwise, just let it dry. Try to keep the water out of any electronics such as the microswitches, controllers, etc. When I installed the Curtis controller on my cart, I specifically located it where it won't get wet during a hose job.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Gydyup
Not Yet Wild

I have used that spray on red battery terminal cleaner that turns to foam, expensive and messy though
Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I've used the white foaming Deka Battery Cleaner for years. I used to use the baking soda but the spray can is more convenient. With anything that is more convenient, it is more likely to get done.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car