lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Do I need a controller? 1999 Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbchbm View Post
Huh, well that little *#$*^!% told me just the opposite about the 12v system, that the 12v bats would hold a charge longer and wouldn't need replaced as often. Probably going to be stuck with the 12v's until they wear out. Ok to keep them for now?

Some of these guys need to slow down and take a deep breath or two. There are thousands of 4/12v carts running down to the beach and back with no problem what so ever!
Just because 6/8v gives a longer run time does not mean the 4/12s can't work for what you need locally.
The important thing is you get where you want and recharge at or before they drop to 48 volts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

But do not run til you get it charged, you will only make it worse.

If you can return those bats and get some trojan 8volts.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Some of these guys need to slow down and take a deep breath or two. There are thousands of 4/12v carts running down to the beach and back with no problem what so ever!
Just because 6/8v gives a longer run time does not mean the 4/12s can't work for what you need locally.
The important thing is you get where you want and recharge at or before they drop to 48 volts.
Uh. Ok scotty whatever you say?

I have had both 8's and 12's and will never ever do 12's again.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
Uh. Ok scotty whatever you say?

I have had both 8's and 12's and will never ever do 12's again.
My advice is based on hundreds of customers using carts from trailer parks to golf courses to ranch work to sand dunes.
I just tell it like I know it. I'll keep reading your posts and try to learn something.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

If 12's are fine why did CC discontinue, and why did they switch out a lot of course bats free of charge? I know you know your stuff but whenever a guy is buying new bats they should always try to upgrade in my opinion. This guy was totally misinformed.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

CC found that for fleet use, the 4/12 configuration was inadequate (which comprises the vast majority of their business) . . . for individual use, most people could function with a 4/12 setup . . . at least when my cart needs batteries, 4/12's will be cheaper than 6/8's . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
flbchbm
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks everyone! Here's what I'm taking away from this thread... I likely do NOT need a controller. More likely the wiring is bad because it does drive. I'm taking it to an actual cart repair place and not driving it ANYWHERE until I have it checked out/repaired. I don't want to make it worse. I'm ok keeping the batteries as it sounds like they will be alright for my purpose, but I should not have gone to the 6/8's as it's a better system. When the 12's burn out I'll either change back or stay with the 12's depending on performance for my usage. Considering the guy either lied or is himself mislead, I doubt that my 8's are still available for core trade to get back to a
6/8's system right now. Thanks for the support and knowledge, I'll let you know how it turns out.
flbchbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
flbchbm
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update, not a good one but an update just the same. I know what the deal is with the funny speed slowing down and speeding up after going in reverse. Well... the guy that got me to change over from 6/8's to 4/12's was in such a hurry to make a buck he was able to put the two end batteries and secure them in the same place as the 8's were. However, the two 12's in the middle, my cart repairman is saying he jammed them in up against the speed sensor and broke it. Is that possible? I have no idea where the speed sensor is anyway. The repairman says they can get me one between mine and a parts cart they have on the lot to make one I can use. A new sensor is 400+. Really?! The cobbled together one will cost me between 200 or 250 at the most. Mr change-out guy has not cashed my check yet, I likely will stop payment on it and send him another less the cost of repair. I don't know... is what the repair shop telling me plausble? I have no reason to doubt them. Yet, I don't want to stiff someone that don't deserve it. The shop doesn't know why the charger doesn't register on my cart yet. Sigh...
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . speed sensors are mounted on the back of the motor . . . don't know how he broke that putting batteries under the seat . . . new speed sensors cost about $50-100, depending on where you get it and takes 5 minutes to install . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
flbchbm
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . speed sensors are mounted on the back of the motor . . . don't know how he broke that putting batteries under the seat . . . new speed sensors cost about $50-100, depending on where you get it and takes 5 minutes to install . . .
Now I really don't know what to think... You know I have a 48v 1999 Club Car, right? The repair shop said "he jammed the batteries under there in such a way that the battery cracked the speed sensor all up." I'm going down there face to face on Monday to see eye to eye what's going on. I told the battery guy what was said and he did not indicate that there was no way he could have broken it based on where the sensor is. He just said that he's put many a battery in carts and never had a problem. I told him I stopped payment on the check until it's sorted out. I was not convinced that the speed sensor should cost so much to put on, I'll see monday. Aggravated...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car