lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Tire pressure question

Hi guys. I just learned yesterday that I am not supposed to fill the tires to the psi number on the tire itself and that I am supposed to use the number that is written on the cart.
My cart does not have a number that is visibal. Does anyone know if this is true. And if so, how much should I fill my tires on a 2006 E-Z-Go Cart with 4 ply tires with a max psi of 30.
I have been going through tires every 3 months even after a elignment adjustment.
suppavillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Tire pressure question

Max 30 psi...go with the tire recommendation. Never overinflate a tire. What have you been running in them now? Tires every three months is crazy!
Kudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are they aftermarket tires or stock?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

There is a video here he is saying 10 psi
Its weird. He doesnt mention the max on the tire or the type of cart. Everyone is telling me 30 is just the max and ill continure to go through tires pumping to the max. I have been using the PSI number on the tire. And I am buying $70 tires and still going through them every 3 months. I have a new set sitting here. I am afraid to put them on until I figure this out.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

People with off road tires will run lower psi in order to give the tire more traction. 10 psi seems awfully low. I just have stock tires on my club car and run about 25 psi in them. Never had an issue. I am curious to see if anyone else has had issues. How are the tires wearing? What happens that causes you to replace them?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What specific brand and model tires are you buying.
They may not be suitable for your application.

How are your tires failing?
If the central portion on the tread is wearing out, they are over-inflated.
If both outer edges of tread is wearing out, they are under-inflated.
If only one edge is wearing out, it is alignment and or tracking issues.

Proper inflation depends on loading (weight supported by tire) and load rating of tire.
Electric golf carts weigh about half a ton, so each tire supports about 250 pounds plus 1/4 the weight of the driver and passengers and cargo and accessories.

Draw a line across the tread from side to side with chalk.
When cart is carrying its typical load, drive straight forward several tire rotations on a paved surface and check the wear on chalk line.
(The circumference of stock height tire is almost 5 feet and over 6 feet for a 23" tire, so 20 to 30 feet in a straight line is needed.)
If the wear is even from side to side, the tire is properly inflated.

How the chalk line wears, tells you how the tread will wear over time.

--------------

The max pressure listed on the sidewall is conservative, but probably shouldn't be exceeded by too far, and I'm not going to define too far.

If you cannot get the chalk line to wear evenly on your tires, your tire's load rating probably isn't right for your application.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My gas cart is about 600lb dry. I run 12-15 in the rear and about 8 in front. Why, because most of the weight (the drivetrain) is all on the rear, it goes faster with a harder tire, holds up my dump box better when I haul things, rear gets more traction with the weight. A hard tire gets less traction, so it corners better on the trail that way with less in the front. On an atv these 22 tires have recommended 5psi but that slows my cart down quite a bit.

Alignment issue should only trash the front tires.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Alignment issue should only trash the front tires.
Front alignment will trash front tires.
Rear alignment will trash rear tires.
Frame/axle alignment can trash all four tires

Since few, if any, golf carts have independent rear suspensions, true rear alignment isn't a significant issue, but frame/axle alignment is and worn/missing flanged bushings or bent/broken spring mounting brackets on frame can cause the cart to yaw to one side.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaman View Post
People with off road tires will run lower psi in order to give the tire more traction. 10 psi seems awfully low. I just have stock tires on my club car and run about 25 psi in them. Never had an issue. I am curious to see if anyone else has had issues. How are the tires wearing? What happens that causes you to replace them?
First I wanna say it has only been the front tires, the back have been ok.
What happens that makes me need to change them is they actually start wearing and showing metal and than blowing out, like BAM! loud hissing POP! That happens about every 3 months on one of the 2 front tires.I had a guy come out and help me with the alignment, yet my steering wheel is still not centered? The clip board tap thing in the center of the steering wheel is a little tad to the right. Used to be alot to the left. The tires are only 2 weeks old. The center treds are balled on the right front tire. It used to wear both front tires,since the allignment seems to be down to one but double time. I think i have 2 issues. Allignment and too much air.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
What specific brand and model tires are you buying.
They may not be suitable for your application.

How are your tires failing?
If the central portion on the tread is wearing out, they are over-inflated.
If both outer edges of tread is wearing out, they are under-inflated.
If only one edge is wearing out, it is alignment and or tracking issues.

Proper inflation depends on loading (weight supported by tire) and load rating of tire.
Electric golf carts weigh about half a ton, so each tire supports about 250 pounds plus 1/4 the weight of the driver and passengers and cargo and accessories.

Draw a line across the tread from side to side with chalk.
When cart is carrying its typical load, drive straight forward several tire rotations on a paved surface and check the wear on chalk line.
(The circumference of stock height tire is almost 5 feet and over 6 feet for a 23" tire, so 20 to 30 feet in a straight line is needed.)
If the wear is even from side to side, the tire is properly inflated.

How the chalk line wears, tells you how the tread will wear over time.

--------------

The max pressure listed on the sidewall is conservative, but probably shouldn't be exceeded by too far, and I'm not going to define too far.

If you cannot get the chalk line to wear evenly on your tires, your tire's load rating probably isn't right for your application.
Thanks Johnnie, ill do the chalk line. The tires were called deestone this time,last time they were called power king and Greensaver before that. All same results. Ill try a few things. Thank you guys for your help. You dont have to waist your time on me anymore,haha. Thanks. Ill figure it out hopefully.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO