lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
sprocket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery meter question

I just installed Scottyb's meter on my 07 PDS through the key switch....I have to ask is this not an accurate way to measure pack voltage?
sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In a stock PDS cart, the voltage at the keyswitch is supplied by the controller and might not reflect true battery pack voltage. See Post # 3 above in this thread.

In series carts and later DCS carts , the keyswitch voltage passes through one or more sets of switch contacts, so there is the potential of the voltage reading being a bit low.

In early DCS carts, the keyswitch voltage is fed through a diode when F/R is in R, so the voltage will 0.6V lower when cart is in reverse.

----------
Measure the battery pack voltage at the main battery pack terminals with your handheld DVM and compare it with what the dash mounted battery meter is reading, to find out for sure in you specific cart. If they are within 0.1V, that is probably as close as you are going to get.

Bottomline: If the keyswitch voltage accurately reflects the battery pack voltage in your specific cart, it can be used to monitor pack voltage. Otherwise, the meter will be giving you faulty information.

Check the voltage at the keyswitch vs at the battery terminals.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Resistance at the key switch varies from cart to cart. Check your cart as Johnnie suggests so you know how much if anything needs to be added. Half a volt shouldn't matter. If it's reading 48 point anything you should probably recharge. The key switch connection has operated within an acceptable margin of accuracy in both my PDS and Series type carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
only differince is i wired mine to a 3 way switch to read 12v aux battery when placed in middle position its off
Crash,
I am using a 12V for my lights and cig plug. It would be nice to know that voltage as well. Can u send a picture of your set up?
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springlake View Post
Crash,
I am using a 12V for my lights and cig plug. It would be nice to know that voltage as well. Can u send a picture of your set up?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks

I drove by Zhills exit on 75 yesterday. Thoought about you. Does the powerball girl live there?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springlake View Post
Thanks

I drove by Zhills exit on 75 yesterday. Thoought about you. Does the powerball girl live there?
we are waiting on pins and needles to see who won ... rumors are wild.. BUT a check out girl at the Plubix where ticket was sold did not go to work sun or mon .. the plot thickened as her boyfriend did not show for work today
Old 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
we are waiting on pins and needles to see who won ... rumors are wild.. BUT a check out girl at the Plubix where ticket was sold did not go to work sun or mon .. the plot thickened as her boyfriend did not show for work today
Is she a relative? I think maybe I have a niece living down there....Man what a pay day,HUH?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
crash test dummy

no shes not .. but i heard from my half brother in Seattle .. first time in years
Old 05-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
sprocket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

O.K., so I'm thinking about my batt meter going through the key switch and having the reading a little bit low. I tell my better half that when it gets down to 37 to put it on the charger. Now I'm thinking that when the meter reads @ 37, that it's actually 37.? which still is safe.....point is with the "low" reading it's safer for the batts than a "high" reading at the meter. Does that make any sense!!
sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO