lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
ravens1950
Not Yet Wild

Angry EZGO Golf Cart Batteries

I have been reading so many threads about golf cart batteries. I just to need to ask this question to someone that really knows the batteries. Will it harm the batteries in a golf cart to keep it plugged into the charger after they are finished charging and the charger shuts off.My batteries are 3 years old and really thought I would have got more life out it that this. My last batteries were Trogans and lasted me for about 6 years before showing signs of dying. And old man told me if I put one aspirin into each cell before the start of each season(we live in a beach area) it will pro-long its life so I did.When I got these new ones I asked the vendor and he said dont bother doing it and now these seem to be showing wear. I played golf the other day and only got through 6 holes and the batteries were worn out. This should not be the case. I only play golf twice or three times a month. Can someone please help me out with each question before I throw this cart over the hill
ravens1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: EZGO Golf Cart Batteries

Quote:
Will it harm the batteries in a golf cart to keep it plugged into the charger after they are finished charging and the charger shuts off ?
no ... park it and plug it
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ery-guide.html

Quote:
I played golf the other day and only got through 6 holes and the batteries were worn out. This should not be the case ?
depends on how batteries were maintained ... but 6 holes is not good
you get what you pay for in batteries that's why some are "cheap"

Quote:
And old man told me if I put one aspirin into each cell before the start of each season(we live in a beach area) it will pro-long its life so I did.When I got these new ones I asked the vendor and he said dont bother doing it and now these seem to be showing wear ?
The aspirin's acetylsalicylic acid will combine with the battery's sulfuric acid to produce one last charge.
http://www.rd.com/home/5-car-battery-tips-and-tricks/

Quote:
before I throw this cart over the hill
please advise me where hill is so i can be far away
Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens1950 View Post
1. Will it harm the batteries in a golf cart to keep it plugged into the charger after they are finished charging and the charger shuts off.

2. My batteries are 3 years old and really thought I would have got more life out it that this. My last batteries were Trogans and lasted me for about 6 years before showing signs of dying.

3. And old man told me if I put one aspirin into each cell before the start of each season(we live in a beach area) it will pro-long its life so I did.When I got these new ones I asked the vendor and he said dont bother doing it and now these seem to be showing wear.

4. I played golf the other day and only got through 6 holes and the batteries were worn out. This should not be the case. I only play golf twice or three times a month.

1. Unless the charge goes into a float charge mode after the regular charge cycle ends, it will neither harm, nor help the batteries.

2. What is the AH (Amp-Hours at the 20Hr rate) rating of the batteries that are failing in 3 years?
Economy grade batteries (<215AH) don't last as long as the standard (225AH) and premium grade batteries (> 235AH)

There are a lot of variables, but in general terms, the higher the average SoC (State of Charge) that is maintained, the longer they last, with due respect to the grade of battery they are.

Also, a single weak cell in any of the six batteries, can drastically reduce run-time.
What is the pack voltage and individual battery voltages when you start you golf outing and what are they when the cart bogs down?

3. The only thing that should ever be added to the electrolyte of a lead-acid wet cell battery is distilled water.

Some of the snake oils and wonder cures, have some short term effects, but at the expense of battery life.

4. Based on the use and charging info provided, I suspect the batteries sit still most of the time and sit in a partially discharged state most of the time.

--------
When you get your new batteries, be sure to charge them fully before first use and then break then in properly to obtain their maximum storage capacity.
Here is how to break them in: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
While on the website, read everything with "Battery" in title. Tons of good info.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

And unless you have a charger that goes into float mode, plan on unplugging and replugging your charger at least monthly, not from the wall, but from the cart. That assumes you don't ride it at least monthly.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
And unless you have a charger that goes into float mode, plan on unplugging and replugging your charger at least monthly, not from the wall, but from the cart. That assumes you don't ride it at least monthly.
Wouldn't hurt to do it every week. In fact, it would probably help.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO