lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Ky81538
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Thinking ahead for this winter

Okay, so I'm going to bite the bullet and buy all new batteries for my cart this year. I intend to break them in properly and all that, but I'm concerned about next winter and the storage situation. The cart will be stored in an indoor storage shed and I'll not have access to it for charging, etc. Does it seem to be reasonable to bring the batteries back home, store them in a non-freezing environment, and tend to them regularly by charging, etc? I would like to get the forum members' input on the practicality of doing this. If is seems feasible, what kind of charger should I get?
Ky81538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Thinking ahead for this winter

The electrolyte in a fully charged lead-acid battery won't freeze at -90°F, so the Minnesota winter shouldn't be a problem, but the electrolyte of a partially charged battery will freeze at a much warmer temperature, so keeping them charged is the issue.

If you cannot keep the batteries charge at the storage facility, bring the batteries home or store them someplace where they can be charged.

The best type charger for long term storage is one that goes into a float charge mode after the regular charge cycle ends.
This is what I use: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

Another nice thing is that during the warmer months when you are using the cart, the batteries are always fully charged when you start your trip.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Ky81538
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The best type charger for long term storage is one that goes into a float charge mode after the regular charge cycle ends.
This is what I use: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

Another nice thing is that during the warmer months when you are using the cart, the batteries are always fully charged when you start your trip.
Thanks for the reply.
It would be nice to have, but after spending nearly $1000 on all new batteries and a cable upgrade, that price tag is a tough pill to swallow.
So is there a way to use the existing charger that came with the cart? Or a less-expensive charger that I can use on each battery individually. I could treat them like my babies and give them the TLC they need during the cold winters here in Minnesota.
Ky81538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You can use your existing charger.

Batteries self-discharge at about 1% per day and you don't want to let them drop below 70% SoC no matter what the temperature is, so give them a boost charge every 3 or 4 weeks and keep an eye on the fluid levels and keep the tops and terminals clean.

If you do have to remove batteries from cart so you can keep them charged, grab the five interconnecting cables and the charger receptacle also. That way you can connect them up just like they were in the cart.

Put them someplace where kids and pets won't mess with them because they are dangerous. Some acid may bubble out and they have the ability to arc weld any metal that touches between any two terminals.

Location should also be well ventilated. They give off hydrogen gas while charging (can be explosive in the right concentrations) and give off a rotten egg smell.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
crash test dummy

some dont like it but Stanley makes a charger/ battery maintainer
6v ~ 48v with cables
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/stanley...prod1841149.ip
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I had hoped to post a Post on simple mods to a stock charger that would add a feature to make it a "plug and play" long-term charger/maintainer. I haven't gotten around to it, but JohnnyB has an easy alternative to my mod that will allow folks on a budget to hook up a timer and relay to make the stock charger a "maintainer".

Maybe one of us will create a schematic to make this a reality.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
crash test dummy

bet they won't make it a sticky !
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Location should also be well ventilated. They give off hydrogen gas while charging (can be explosive in the right concentrations) and give off a rotten egg smell.
I know batteries gas during charging and read warnings about being well ventilated in every charger manual. What is the definition of "well ventilated"? Is a normal 2 car garage ok? How about an insulated garage? It must be good to go as I'm sure there are many a golf cart in garages.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is a good question, but I don't have any good answers.

My guess is that most run of the mill 2 car garages leak air like sieves and would be okay. Or at least mine does and that is where I keep my cart.

If the walls are finished and/or insulated, it might not leak as much air.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Battery Tender makes a maintainer that you can use to keep your batteries fully charged when not in use. I have these for my cars. I leave a car in Arizona when I am in Colorado for the Summer and I leave one in Colorado when I am in Arizona for the winter. They also make one for golf carts. The car version is only $50 but the one for golf carts is more but if it prolongs the life of your batteries a year it pays for itself.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO