lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery usage confused

You won't loose range installing a bigger controller. A bigger speed controller simply allows the motor access to more amperage. Read that last sentence twice
Your big right foot controls how far you go on a charge. If people tell you they get less range with a bigger control it is because they are pushing the peddle down more, enjoying the additional power and allowing the motor to draw harder on the battery pack.
I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flharleycop View Post
If I were to eventually get the upgrade with the Altrax to get my speed up, keeping my 36v system. How much range do you think I would loose?
It depends on how heavy your foot is. Rapid acceleration will kill your range.
If your drive your cart about the same way and at about the same speed as you do now, you would get about the same range.

Basically, a 300A (Stock) or 400A or 500A controller all pass the same number of amps when the cart is cruising at 19MPH.
IIRC, you have a PDS controller, so the motor is limited top 4400RPM or about 19MPH.
Gong to an aftermarket controller will allow the motor to spin faster, so the cart will go faster, which in turn will use more amps, but you will also be covering more ground, so it boils down to whether the motor is more efficient at 4400Rpm or at 5500RPM (23MPH).

Something else to consider is that with a DCX controller, you gain some AH due to the Regen Braking.

----------
There are too many variables to guess, but you might even get better range with an aftermarket controller, if you don't do jackrabbit starts.

In stock trim, my PDS used about 4.6 AH per mile in Freedom Mode. (19MPH - No regen braking)
In Mild Hill Mode (14mph with regen braking), it only used about 2.3 AH per mile.

The two tests were about 12 mile runs over roughly the same mixed terrain, but I'd take the results with a gain of salt because it was on one run in each mode. To get something definitive, more tests are needed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
before an answer can be given to that question.....what type of drive system does your cart have? is it a series moter ? or a sepex?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
its an 08 with dash switch I think its called a PDS cart.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It depends on how heavy your foot is. Rapid acceleration will kill your range.
If your drive your cart about the same way and at about the same speed as you do now, you would get about the same range.

Basically, a 300A (Stock) or 400A or 500A controller all pass the same number of amps when the cart is cruising at 19MPH.
IIRC, you have a PDS controller, so the motor is limited top 4400RPM or about 19MPH.
Gong to an aftermarket controller will allow the motor to spin faster, so the cart will go faster, which in turn will use more amps, but you will also be covering more ground, so it boils down to whether the motor is more efficient at 4400Rpm or at 5500RPM (23MPH).

Something else to consider is that with a DCX controller, you gain some AH due to the Regen Braking.

----------
There are too many variables to guess, but you might even get better range with an aftermarket controller, if you don't do jackrabbit starts.

In stock trim, my PDS used about 4.6 AH per mile in Freedom Mode. (19MPH - No regen braking)
In Mild Hill Mode (14mph with regen braking), it only used about 2.3 AH per mile.

The two tests were about 12 mile runs over roughly the same mixed terrain, but I'd take the results with a gain of salt because it was on one run in each mode. To get something definitive, more tests are needed.

Can you explain the above? Do i have a DCX now or would that be the upgraded one? I thought the Altrax would stop the limit of drag I now have, I can’t do more than 19 even downhill.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My personal opinion on regen is different than some. If you allow the buggy to free-wheel down hills, you will have enough momentum to carry you partway up the next hill. This is far more efficient than limiting downhill speed, in an effort to charge the batteries. HOWEVER, if you don't like to fly downhill at 30+ MPH, then regen makes sense. It's better to let the motor slow you down than the brakes.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Can you explain the above? Do i have a DCX now or would that be the upgraded one? I thought the Altrax would stop the limit of drag I now have, I can’t do more than 19 even downhill.
If your controller looks like the one in the attached picture, you have a PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX)

Since your cart won't do more than 19MPH going downhill, I'm pretty sure that is what you have.

The PDS controller limits the motor to approximately 4400RPM, which is about 19MPH on stock height (18") tires. It limits the RPM on level ground, going uphill and going downhill. On level ground, it throttles back if the RPM tries to exceed 4400, going uphill, it throttles up to maintain 4400 and going downhill it applies regen braking to prevent it from exceeding 4400RPM.

An aftermarket controller such as the AllTrax DCX type, does not sense the motor RPM, so it doesn't limit the RPM the motor can reach. That fact alone will allow the cart to reach speeds in the low to mid 20's on stock height tires.

------------
Regen braking is turning the motor into a generator and using it the charge the batteries when slowing down from speed or going downhill.

Basically, instead of using the mechanical brakes to slow the cart, you use engine braking and the kinetic energy of the cart is converted into electricity energy stored in the battery pack instead of heat being dissipated by the drake drums.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock PDS controller-1.jpg (603.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If your controller looks like the one in the attached picture, you have a PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX)

Since your cart won't do more than 19MPH going downhill, I'm pretty sure that is what you have.

The PDS controller limits the motor to approximately 4400RPM, which is about 19MPH on stock height (18") tires. It limits the RPM on level ground, going uphill and going downhill. On level ground, it throttles back if the RPM tries to exceed 4400, going uphill, it throttles up to maintain 4400 and going downhill it applies regen braking to prevent it from exceeding 4400RPM.

An aftermarket controller such as the AllTrax DCX type, does not sense the motor RPM, so it doesn't limit the RPM the motor can reach. That fact alone will allow the cart to reach speeds in the low to mid 20's on stock height tires.

------------
Regen braking is turning the motor into a generator and using it the charge the batteries when slowing down from speed or going downhill.

Basically, instead of using the mechanical brakes to slow the cart, you use engine braking and the kinetic energy of the cart is converted into electricity energy stored in the battery pack instead of heat being dissipated by the drake drums.
My Fusion does the same thing and I can see how much braking charges the battery on the dash.
Do you think that the small amount of that on a golf cart makes much difference in the charge life and range? Or like another said the speed down hill lets you coast further so its a break even?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. My Fusion does the same thing and I can see how much braking charges the battery on the dash.
2. Do you think that the small amount of that on a golf cart makes much difference in the charge life and range?
3. Or like another said the speed down hill lets you coast further so its a break even?

2. Would halving the average energy used per mile be considered small?

From my earlier post in this thread:

3. Both are effective and I'm not entirely sure which is more efficient, but regen braking may be safer.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Regen braking is about the only thing that makes a Hybrid car more energy efficient in stop and go traffic. That and the fact that the gas engine doesn't run at a stop light.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO