lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
fourshermans
Not Yet Wild

Default New or used? Which did you decide?

Hi, did you decide to buy new or used? A lot of used carts out there have been on a golf course and I worry that they have been rode hard. Used ones from individuals don't come with any warranties. New is a lot more but is it worth it? What did you decide and are you happy with that choice?
fourshermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Default Re: New or used? Which did you decide?

received a hand me down so used i would say. in my mind if a i buy used anything i expect to upgrade/upkeep to be the difference.
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
fourshermans
Not Yet Wild

Wish I could receive a hand me down. I was shocked how much used ones cost at first, thought I could get new for those prices, boy I was wrong!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It depends on what you are going to use the cart for, and there are exceptions to most everything.

If you are going to use the cart to do anything other than haul two players and their clubs over the groomed cart trails at a golf course, you will most likely have to upgrade the cart's drive system, so used would be the logical choice.

On the other hand, there are new carts specifically designed for hunting and others design for NEV use.

I guess the best answer to your question is suggesting you figure out what you want the cart for, thereby narrowing down the options of what is available.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I saved our first cart from the scrap heap, they were going to cut it up and toss it in the dumpster.
I had to completely rewire all secondary wiring, 4 yrs later and its till running good
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
SCLakes
Not Yet Wild

I purchased an 08 cart that was revamped at a dealer. It worked perfect for me as I wanted the warranty but didnt want to buy new.
SCLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
redking
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The vast majority of cart owners I know have used carts, many purchasing used carts that have been already upgraded (lifted and other upgrades already done). I personally have two used carts; one CC and the other EZGO, regardless of model, with the proper TLC there are no issues. A handful of folks I know have purchased new carts (and these folks had used carts prior) and the main reason they purchased new carts was because the liked and/or wanted something specific about the new model (body style or capacity for example). I can’t emphasize “proper” TCL enough. My thinking on when going to look at a used cart that your interested in, when you show up, take note of the surroundings, if the cart is polished and everything else is a mess I would think twice about buy it. If the surroundings are maintained with TCL, your most likely looking at a cart that has been maintained with TLC. Good Luck.
redking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If a new cart has everything and will do everything you want and you do not plan on doing mcuh if any upgrading then that might be the way to go for you.

Most of us on here have mildly to highly modified carts in one way or another. If you are going to be doing that and replacing most everything anyway then used probably makes more sense.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #9
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The decision for me boiled down to how much cash I had. I wanted a cart to ride back and forth to work (2 mile round trip) and therefore street legal. I also wanted something that the wife can run to the store with for milk runs and taxi the kids along with. New street legal ready carts are not cheap! So I decided to look for something used, no more than $3500, street legal or very close to, and no more than 4 years old.

What I found was my 2009 TXT PDS with added rear seat and factory lights installed for $3400. The guy I purchased it from resells/refurbishes used carts as a hobby and I did as someone else suggested, I looked very closely at his shop and equipment, which was quite impressive. He was upfront with me and said that the previous owner installed the rear seat but neglected to install upgraded leaf springs which he highly suggested either he does for few hundred more or I do after the fact.

But, before purchasing I did some checking with my town to see what I needed to add to make it street legal (turn signals and seat belts) and what it would cost to upgrade the suspension. With the cart purchase and after market parts I needed I have a little less than $3800 invested. A new cart with the specs I was searching for would have easily cost me twice as much.
RitchCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
fourshermans
Not Yet Wild

If I could find a used cart that I like, besides battery and rust is there anything else that I should really look into? Is there any model that I should stay away from? So buying from a golf course isn't too bad? Thanks for all your replies.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO