lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
Onebadkr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: battery question

I went to Walmart and got the biggest deep cycle marine battery was 100 apiece and I can go 6-7 miles on my lifted ezgo of this helps runs just like it did but with half the run time as expected
Onebadkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadkr View Post
I went to Walmart and got the biggest deep cycle marine battery was 100 apiece and I can go 6-7 miles on my lifted ezgo of this helps runs just like it did but with half the run time as expected
I suspect you just learned a six-hundred dollar lesson.

Better start saving for a set of golf cart batteries, because those boat batteries won't last long.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

The more batteries you have in a bank, the shallower each individual battery is depleted between charges. So if the end voltage is the same and the combined Ah is the same, the bank with the most batteries would be the better option.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

All deep cycle batteries aren't made the same. Golf cart batteries and marine batteries are two totally different beasts. Golf cart batteries can be hit with a 300, 400, 500, or more amp demand. And that demand can be extended in duration. Many of us drive for extended periods, with numerous heavy passengers, for many miles/run hours.

Edit: What you said is true in theory. In practicality, most folks run six, and a few run seven or eight batteries.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie_Tunes View Post
The more batteries you have in a bank, the shallower each individual battery is depleted between charges. So if the end voltage is the same and the combined Ah is the same, the bank with the most batteries would be the better option.
so ideally 36 1v batteries is best ?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
so ideally 36 1v batteries is best ?
yes, but it would look like a bowl pasta once wired up
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's not the number of batteries but their Amp Hour Rating that tells capacity. A 12V golf cart battery with the same amp hour rating as a pair of 6V will have the same capacity and work just as well. Problem is that most 12V batteries have a lower Amp Hour rating than a 6V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With electrochemical cells, size makes a difference.

The lead-acid cells typically found in Deep-cycle, Marine and SLI batteries, all have about 2VPC (Volts per Cell).
The storage capacity of those cells is determined by the exposed area of the plates and the concentration of the acid the plates are exposed to.

There are other factors that influence storage density, but as long as you stick the the same construction and chemistry, the cell with the greatest physical dimensions, has the greatest storage capacity.

A 6V battery is a box that contains 3 x 2V cells and an 8V battery is a box that contains 4X 2V cells and a 12V battery is a box that contains 6 X 2V cells. If the boxes for all three batteries are the same size, the cells in the box have to be smaller for higher voltage batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I thought I read:

While difficult to decipher, the "marine battery" part made me think he bought the wrong battery(s).
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I thought I read:

While difficult to decipher, the "marine battery" part made me think he bought the wrong battery(s).
BINGO!!

Problem solved
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO