lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: First cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuddeth View Post
Okay, it has been a while but I am back at it. With a nice new set of US Battery 2200's, it does much better but it still has a very difficult time up the steeper hills. AND; i smell electrical heat going up the hill. What is my next step? Motor maintenace:brushes, etc? I am not sure I am ready to invest in a new controller yet. Ideas?
What charger are you using? US Battery batteries have a higher voltage at 100% SoC, so you need a charger that has a the right charge algorithm to charge them properly.
Here is a chart that shows what the voltage should be after the batteries have sat for about 12 hours after the charger shuts off.

--------------
The 23" tires are costing you about 22% of the stock torque, but the 350A controller offsets that a bit.

Smelling things getting hot is not good and may be the cause of part of the hill climbing issues. The tall tires another part and all carts do slow down some on hills.

The contacts in the F/R switch not making good contact is a common problem, as are undersized high current cables and corroded connections.

Any heat is power loss. The motor will got hot, the controller will get warm and the batteries may warm up some, but nothing else ought to get much warmer than the air temperature.

Any cable, connection or component getting more than slightly warm, needs to be fixed or replaced.

The high current cables (All 13 of them) should be 4Ga or thicker.

------------
Get the batteries fully charged if they aren't already being fully charged, get the Amp delivery system running cool and if the abnormal hill climbing problems still exist, then start lo0king at rebuilding/replacing the motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - US Battery.JPG (58.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Try to see where the smell is coming from.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You will need to upgrade the F&R and the cables to run an aftermarket control or big tires. So that is a good place to start.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
EZGO-MY-WALLET2
Gone Wild

It looked like to me that the one post on the the side of the solenoid has been hot at some point before. I just replaced one on a friends cart that had the same post melted off of it.
EZGO-MY-WALLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

nice cart, and with a little love you will be happy with it. I have the same cart, and love it.
something you might think about if your going to buy new batteries is to convert to 48v. not sure if that controller will do 48 or not, but going to 48v is like adding a turbo to it.

at the very least replace all wires....
like this. 4 gauge
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-gauge-batt...item43c9468881
OR
2 gauge a little more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Cabl...item4aa70d445e

then you also ready need this....
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html
financethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
rsuddeth
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will see if I can find what is getting so hot. Next, I will do cables. I will report back!!!
rsuddeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
rsuddeth
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ran it today up a hill and then checked under the seat. CABLES.. the cable going from the battery pack to the controller was bad hot, but the others were not. Is that normal?

I am looking at buying a quality 2awg cable and heavy duty ends to build my own. How many feet will i need?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #18
rsuddeth
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

JohnnieB: Here are pics of the charger. What do you think?

IMG-20140512-00244.jpg

IMG-20140512-00245.jpg
Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #19
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuddeth View Post
Ran it today up a hill and then checked under the seat. CABLES.. the cable going from the battery pack to the controller was bad hot, but the others were not. Is that normal?

I am looking at buying a quality 2awg cable and heavy duty ends to build my own. How many feet will i need?
THATS NOT NORMAL! Get some new larger cables soon.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What is not normal only that one wire gets hot. The wire from the battery positive goes to the solenoid first. The solenoid switches the battery to the controller so why does the wire from the solenoid to the controller not get hot too? I believe you have a loose connection at either the battery or the solenoid or maybe the solenoid itself is bad on the input battery side and the heat is conducting down the cable. Bigger cables are ok but I don't believe the cable size is the problem. Bad connection? Bad solenoid, especially if it shows signs of hot connection.??
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO