lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #21
jbrzezinski14
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Santa arrived early!

I've contacted US Batteries and they were super quick to reply. VP of engineering told me that my charger is fine as long as it is running one of 3 acceptable algorithms....however, I don't know which one my charger is running, so I'll call Delta Q today to see if I can find out. I'll report details on everything as soon as I know.
jbrzezinski14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

While you are waiting for a reply from DeltaQ.

If you have a DVM with a Min/Max, or similar function, capture the max voltage your QE charger reaches before it shuts off.
If it is in the 60.0V to 62.4V, you should be good for US Battery batteries.

If your DVM doesn't have Min/Mak or Peak-Hold, try starting a new charge shortly after the charger shuts off and watch the meter. It should only take a few minutes for the charger to shut off when the batteries are already near full charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Battery On-Charge Voltage - Pack.jpg (42.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
jbrzezinski14
Not Yet Wild

I did some readings: 62.8v when it shut off after about a 30 minute charge. I then unplugged it for a few seconds and plugged it back in and let it go until it quit, 63.1v when it cut off on that one.

Is a bit higher voltage ok?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As long as it stays below 2.79VPC (Volts per Cell), which is about 67V for a 48V pack, you ought to be okay.

Since the charger is taking the pack to a higher voltage, the batteries will gas more, so keep a close eye on the electrolyte levels.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #25
jbrzezinski14
Not Yet Wild

10-4, thank you for the help
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #26
jbrzezinski14
Not Yet Wild

While resting, I measured the voltage at the lead posts a few times. The pack settled at 51.5v and didn't budge for several hours. Looks to me like everything is on the up and up with this charger. I'll use it until she croaks, then buy a decent one.

The accusense charger you recommended, what sort of shelf life does that unit have? I plan on owning carts one way another for a long time, so maybe it's worth just going ahead and getting one.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I don't know about shelf life since the two I have (36V and 42V) are in daily use, but I'm sure my heirs will be using them long after I'm gone.

If you do get one, use it instead of the QE. The float charge feature keeps your batteries at 100% SoC, so they last longer.

For max battery lifespan, keep the DPI charger plugged into the cart when you are not driving it.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #28
jbrzezinski14
Not Yet Wild

See here we go, doing exactly what I told my wife I wouldn't do!

"Honey, once we buy the cart with all those extra fancy add-ons, we are done! I won't buy anything else!"
Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #29
jbrzezinski14
Not Yet Wild

Looking at the manual for the DPI Accusense, it says stage 5 is the Recycle charge...."Only after stage 4 has completed, and after 28 days of time has elapsed, the charger will reset itself; thereby restarting a new charge cycle routine and restoring battery to full capacity".

To me this sounds like it doesn't float the batteries at an elevated state at all, but that it does the same thing the QE charger does? It doesn't mention any kind of process to keep the batteries at 100% all of the time. Where does DPI explain that they float the batteries after a full charge process?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #30
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is how the older (Pre-2007) ones worked, the newer ones go into float charge after the regular charge cycle terminates.
I wish they would update their manual, or at least put something about it on their website.

I know for a fact that the two I have float charge, both post 2007 models.
The 36V one floats at 39.6 with the Trojan charge profile selected and the 42V one floats at 46.4V with the Exide charge profile selected.
A 48V one should float at 53.1V with the US Battery charge profile selected.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO