lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
aah924
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 99 EZGO died & started in beep

My 80 year old parents have a 1999 EZGO, 36 volt cart that suddenly died while they were driving it and s beeping sound started. the manf. code G499 1191934 and it has a Power wise 28115G05 charger with it. I brought the cart to my house to try to diagnose & repair the cart. Unfortunately, theres no more beeping and the cart will not move under power. I did plug in the charger and only saw a green light and no other lights or movement on the charger.

I did check the water level in the batteries and the water is fine.

Does anyone have an idea on where I should start for diagnosis?

I have an 08 Club Car that I have completed minor repairs on, but I'm not even sure where to start with this one.

Thanks, in advance...
aah924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 EZGO died & started in beep

Get your voltmeter out and make some voltage measurements. Check the battery voltage. Does the solenoid click when you press the pedal?
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
aah924
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I got about 6.1 or so on each battery. While checking the batteries, it suddenly started a steady beeping and only stopped when I switched it from Run to tow. There was no clicking when pressing the pedal and there's also no beep when I move the switch to reverse.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Charge those batteries!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah924 View Post
I got about 6.1 or so on each battery. While checking the batteries, it suddenly started a steady beeping and only stopped when I switched it from Run to tow. There was no clicking when pressing the pedal and there's also no beep when I move the switch to reverse.
6.1 volts is low. Each 6 volt battery should read about 6.37. You should get about 38.2 volts across the whole set. Charge batteries and after tonight check the voltage again with the negative meter probe on Battery minus and progress from the first battery + through the last battery. Check for battery voltage on the solenoid big terminals. Make sure you don't have a bad battery jumper connection. In the meantime some of the regulars will show up to help you. You got to figure out why the solenoid don't click when the pedal is pressed.
There are some diagrams in the stickies to help you.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
aah924
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am unsure if the charger is working correctly; however, I do get a click & green light when I plug it in to the cart and then I do hear the charger come on when I plug it into the wall but I don't see any other lights or meter movement on the charger.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Try and find someone who has a charger you can borrow, or charge them in pairs of two with a 12 volt charger. You're at around 60% charged, which is harmful if you leave them that way for long.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
aah924
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was just checking all of the jumper connectors, and one of the wire broke off at the terminal. I get a new one tomorrow. I think that was part of the problem, but not the entire problem. Thanks for the input, so far!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you have one cable that bad, I'd suspect it's not the only one. Physically remove, inspect, clean, and reinstall or replace each and every cable connected to the batteries. Others should be at least visually checked and snugged if loose. Be careful to not over torque the battery terminals. Check the manufacturer's website for torque requirements, but I believe it's around 10 ft-lbs. Specs may be in in-lbs. When snugging the terminals on the motor, you need to use two wrenches or a wrench and socket. Hold the bottom nut while tightening the top one, to prevent the stud from spinning.

After charging the batteries, you should have 6.37 volts each and 38.2 volts for the whole pack - 12 hours after charging is complete.

What make and model is your charger? It's possible that the bad cable offered enough resistance to prevent the charger from turning on. You can check the voltage at the charger port to see what the charger sees.

What kind of drive does the cart have? I'm guessing it's not a series, as a series beeper doesn't talk to the controller. It only beeps when placed in reverse.

Controller/Motor Type:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...go-guide-2.jpg

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

Golf Cart Serial Number Lookup:
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

https://www.shopezgo.com/my-vehicle/...spx?appid=5552

This says you have a DCS. I have no experience with DCSs but understand they don't like to be run with nearly dead batteries. 50% is considered dead. If you're lucky, the DCS controller is just warning you to stop. It could also be fried. If you are measuring 36.6 (6.1 * 6) while resting, voltage will drop below that while running.

Go here and read up on everything about batteries, and once the DCS experts help with troubleshooting, if your controller's fried, consider an upgrade. The same site also has good information on controller upgrades. Even if your parents don't need a speed machine, consider the difference in price of an upgrade vs. stock replacement, which is proven to be a weak link.

Carts Unlimited:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Here's a link from the Stickies:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eshooting.html
Old 07-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
aah924
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I would like to say, THANK YOU, to everyone that responded with suggestions. When I checked the battery cables, one of them broke off at the terminal. I bought a new set of 5 cables today, replaced all of them, and the cart works great. It was a little slow, but I'm guessing that the batteries haven't received a full charge, in a while due to how brittle the cable was. I'm surprised how much slower it is than my 08 CC Precedent, but it works great for mom. I may look for some ways to increase the torque of my CC, because it doesn't pull my boat out of the garage, very well.

Kudos to this site, ITS AWESOME!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO