lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
shrpshtr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery life question

Cart was here in SC. I bought it from a guy who was upgrading to a Polaris Ranger UTV. He used the cart for hunting clearly as it was covered in mud, debris, etc. so I am sure he didn't follow all best practices for battery maintenance.

Will have the other details shortly...thanks all.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
shrpshtr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

by the way, anyone have any recommendations on how to capture voltage reading while the cart is running? do i need to take the seat off or can i attach to battery meter in cab area of cart for accurate reading? (analog color scale meter without any numeric values)

shrp
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack Courtney View Post
Good questions JohnnieB, on a stock EZGO what tire pressure should we run for good distance? Close to maximum tire manf recommended?
The max pressure stamped on the tires will give you better top speed and range for that tire, but the number listed was most likely dictated by lawyers and accountants rather than being determined by engineers.

Low pressure tires (Max inflation pressure under about 10PSI) tend to have more rolling resistance, so more amps are needed to turn them, shortening the range and the top speed reachable is lower, but are great for driving through mud and sand.

High pressure tires (Max inflation pressure over about 20PSI) tend to have less rolling resistance, so they have greater speed and range, but will spin on wet grass if you throw too much torque at them.

The trick is finding the best tire type and tread pattern for your application.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
by the way, anyone have any recommendations on how to capture voltage reading while the cart is running? do i need to take the seat off or can i attach to battery meter in cab area of cart for accurate reading? (analog color scale meter without any numeric values)

shrp
Use a handheld DVM. Need to know voltage with 0.1V resolution for the pack voltage and 0.01V resolution for the individual battery voltages.

Attach the test leads to the main Positive and Negative battery pack terminals, or individual battery terminal and run the leads out from under the seat.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
shrpshtr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The battery pack was at 39v upon 1st reading. (charged last night and not sure what time it finished this morning. It's normally 38.7v after sitting a few hours after charge) Each battery tested at exactly 13.0v. (usually 12.8v - 12.9v) Hooked up the DVM and ran it down the road about 2 miles and then back. Heading out it was pretty consistently registering at 36.6v and dropped as low as 36.0v going up a decent little hill. On the way back it was consistently running about 36.1v with a low of 34.2v coming back up same hill. Total distance travelled was right at 4 miles. I could already tell performance started dropping quickly near the end. I bet I couldn't drive it another 2 miles before it stops running. Pic of the battery is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc_battery_82014.jpg (157.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

hmmmmm well I just found this, and according to its specs, its a 75 AH battery.

sprinter batt.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is made by GND, which is a division of Exide.

The 13.5V-13.8V mentioned by he electrician, is the float charge voltage it is supposed to be maintained at.
I can find no info as to what the "At-Rest" voltage should be at 100% SoC, but based on my Exide cart batteries, I suspect it would be about 2.128VPC or about 12.77V for a 12V battery.

I did find a spec that said the on-charge voltage should not exceed 2.40VPC (14.4V for a 12V battery) and the charger you are using will exceed that voltage. Your charger is designed for wet cell rather than AGM and goes up to about 2.5VPC or 15V for a 12V battery.

I also found a spec that says that battery will produce 300W per cell for 15 minutes when the battery is taken down to 1.75VPC at 25°C (77°F).
That indicates it will deliver 50A for 15 minutes.

For comparison. The 12V battery used in some of the newer 48V carts is a Trojan T-1275 (12V-150AH), which will deliver 56A for 90 minutes when take down to 1.75VPC at 77°F.

Based on those numbers, my guess is that the GNB S12V300F would effectively be a 25AH battery.
Running 6 of them in series/parallel would yield a 36V-50AH battery pack, while the standard 36V golf cart battery pack is 225AH.

If your cart was as efficient as mine (and that is a big if), and those batteries were in tip-top shape, you would get about 6 miles on that battery pack vs the 30 or so I get with my battery pack.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
hmmmmm well I just found this, and according to its specs, its a 75 AH battery.
The numbers don't match my calculations, but I was winging it based on the 300W per cell info.

It doesn't say what the discharge rate is for the 75AH rating, but even if it was at a 100 hour rate, the AH rating is higher than I expected and the pack ought too be giving more run time than it is, so the batteries might be sick.

Even with 75AH and two sets in parallel, it is only 150AH and a standard 36V pack is 225AH, so the range only would be 2/3 of a standard pack at best.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #19
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The numbers don't match my calculations, but I was winging it based on the 300W per cell info.

It doesn't say what the discharge rate is for the 75AH rating, but even if it was at a 100 hour rate, the AH rating is higher than I expected and the pack ought too be giving more run time than it is, so the batteries might be sick.

Even with 75AH and two sets in parallel, it is only 150AH and a standard 36V pack is 225AH, so the range only would be 2/3 of a standard pack at best.
I didn't post it but I found another listing for the same battery and they said it was rated at 50 AH. so your numbers/calculations would have been right in line with it. EITHER WAY......its not a cart battery. the best thing shrpshtr can do is to buy a good quality battery pack and be done with it.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #20
shrpshtr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

y'all are just impressive. thanks for all the great, quick responses. JohnnieB, I am positive my cart isn't as efficient as your's is. I have been considering upgrades for awhile but just haven't pulled the trigger because I can't decide whether to sell the cart and buy bigger or upgrade what I have to a more capable model. I had a feeling when I bought the 36v cart it wasn't going to do what I want but am not real sure my expectations aren't that of a UTV or ATV. Knowing now that I can expect good performance out of a good set of batteries, what other steps can I take to get the range, torque, and moderate speed that'll meet my needs with this cart? Thanks again for all the great replies.

shrp
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO