lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: No pull

Who carries high speed gear sets?
tomakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

If it turns out that a set of different gears was at one time installed I will gladly trade them or buy a set of standard gears.
I had much prefer 13mph and torque over 25mph and none.
I'll be using this in the woods and if I were to drive 25 over the terrain that the hogs have torn up it would beat me to death any way.
The more I think about it the more I think that the issue is tall gears.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakazi View Post
If the cables were the issue how do you explain the fact that the 4 carts we have at work, which have 6Ga. stock cables do not share this issue?
Do the other carts run 25 miles an hour?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Mr. Golf, no disrespect intended but if I had only 5 cells in series, 30 volts, which I do not, how do you explain the 25mph?
We are not seeing the cart. We are trying to help you if we can. We are not saying you are a dummy are anything like that. Just trying to help from what you are telling us.

Sorry we tried.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
How could this cart have "high speed gears" in it. Were different ratio gears available for the CC DS as an option at some time?

The cables are not "undersize" but are stock.
20 year old cart... World of aftermarket goodies out there including gear sets and unless you've owned that cart from day one you've no idea what could have been done to get that extra speed.... Motor as well as gears may have been replaced. Either way you don't get that extra speed without paying for it elsewhere.... If done with gears even running at reduced speed will cost you more amps and if your stock cables are 6 gauge then they are indeed now undersize.

Also cables are known to build up internal corrosion and while they may look fine on the outside inside they are rotten and will build heat.

What to know what your gear ratio is? Pull your motor and with both wheels on the ground roll your cart and watch the input spline. When the wheels have turned one revolution count how many times the input spline has gone round....

Last edited by teecro; 10-07-2014 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Stuck in reverse...
Old 10-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
20 year old cart... World of aftermarket goodies out there including gear sets and unless you've owned that cart from day one you've no idea what could have been done to get that extra speed.... Motor as well as gears may have been replaced. Either way you don't get that extra speed without paying for it elsewhere.... If done with gears even running at reduced speed will cost you more amps and if your stock cables are 6 gauge then they are indeed now undersize.

Also cables are known to build up internal corrosion and while they may look fine on the outside inside they are rotten and will build heat.

What to know what your gear ratio is? Pull your motor and with both wheels on the ground roll your cart and watch the input spline. When it has turned one revolution count how many times the wheels have gone round....
I think you have it backwards. With both wheels on the ground, roll the cart one revolution of the tire and count how many times the input shaft revolved
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFanatic View Post
I think you have it backwards. With both wheels on the ground, roll the cart one revolution of the tire and count how many times the input shaft revolved
And your right I did indeed type it backwards....
Old 10-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Do the other carts run 25 miles an hour?
No Sir they do not. At this point those of you that suggested that the diff has had a taller than stock set of gears installed I feel have hit the nail squarely on the head.
I really don't see how it could be anything else.
Thanks all for the help and suggestions. I will determine the ratio and report back but I'm sure I will find somewhere around an eight to one ratio set.
Anybody want to trade a set of stock gearing for a set of tall gears?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

OK here is my 2 cent worth....If the gears are standard, you might take a look at your motor. A standard motor is around 3 to 4 hp..A street legal motor can go on up to 25 to 30 hp..There is one in my campground that will do 30 + mph but still has pretty good take off also..surely would climb up on a trailer. Pull your dust cover off and check the motor label. It should have the HP rating.

Wires getting hot, I agree with the others, sounds like a loose connection or bad contacts on the F/R switch

I know you said you have brand new batteries, but I have several times over the years seen bad brand new batteries which would account for no pull. Buy you a gravity tester at any auto parts, charge the batteries, let it set for a few hours and test them....good little tool to have around.

Hope this helps
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

It's 7-1! Any body have a 12.44-1 set that they would be willing to trade?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car