lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Steelhammer
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery help

I know the answert to this, to do it properly. However, I just need this cart to last for trick or treating in a few weeks with my kids then I'll buy the proper batteries in the spring. I have two brand new deep cycle marine trolling batteries that I could add another one to to make the 36v I need I know it won't last as long as using 6 6v batteries but I should get enough out of them. Anywho, I went through the 6 Trojans that were in the cart and found two that sill held a charge. They charged up with a 12 bolt charger so I gave it a shot and wired the two 6 volt batteries and the two 12 volt batteries. The cart ran great for about 1/2 mile or so then stopped dead. Lifting the seat revealed a melted wire going from 12v (-) to 6v (+). The entire length ofvthecwire had bubbling insulation dripping off. The terminals were still tight , thank god I had a pair of bolt gutters that were able to cut the cable in half, stopping the burn. Y wound this happen ? Ideas?
Steelhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Battery help

check for reverse polarity on one of the batteries
Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Check voltage starting at one end, check one battery then move one more to make it checking two, then so on. The voltage should increase the voltage of each battery.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Steelhammer
Not Yet Wild

Can't sleep so I went out and checked everything. Polarity was fine, voltage increased after every battery, but I did notice that the two Trojan batteries I was trying to use are bulging out on the sides. Think I'll just get another DC trolling battery for now instead of causing a whole lot more problems to save a few bucks. Btw... I was told from the previous owner that this cart was used every weekend at a campground....... after cleaning the batteries I found they were stamped aug 2003.... Not too bad, 11years!!
Steelhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Check with a golf cart repair shop. You may find a good deal on some used batteries that will last until spring.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhammer View Post
Can't sleep so I went out and checked everything. Polarity was fine, voltage increased after every battery, but I did notice that the two Trojan batteries I was trying to use are bulging out on the sides. Think I'll just get another DC trolling battery for now instead of causing a whole lot more problems to save a few bucks. Btw... I was told from the previous owner that this cart was used every weekend at a campground....... after cleaning the batteries I found they were stamped aug 2003.... Not too bad, 11years!!
11 years, wow
Bulging means they are getting old and building up sulfate on the lead plates...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car