lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help me with a 97 Club Car

O.K., charged up and runs!! It's a 48V and the charger is Model #17930 Power Drive. How long should this cart run before needing a charge? How long should it take to charge up again? Thanks for all your help guys.
Alameda Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

O.K. last question, I hope. I have gone through a series of short drives/charges and now batteries after a charge are 1. 8.08, 2. 8.06, 3. 8.10, 4. 8.10, 5. 8.17, 6. 8.11.

I drove it for 12 minutes and after that batteries are 1. 7.90, 2. 7.89, 3. 7.93, 4. 7.93, 5. 8.00, 6. 7.95.

Question: I need to drive this cart from where I've been working on it to the high school, a distance of about 3 miles. There aren't any good places along the way to stop. do you think it will make it?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

P.S. Thought that was the last question but one more...the charge meter doesn't light up. Is there a layman's fix for that? Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alameda, Something is not right with your batteries! Can you for once post a pic of your batteries. Are they Golf Cart batteries? What condition are your cables in? Read this carefully, If you have three cells per battery ( one cap per cell) you have a 6 volt battery. If you have 4 caps or cells per battery you have 8 volt batteries. I suspect you have 8 volt batteries. Bad news...
8.0 volts is the bottom of the well for juice in an 8 volt battery. Each cell is capable of holding 2.25 volts, Xs 4 = 9.5 volts fully charged 8 volt battery.
You are starting out where you should be recharging! Recharge your pack until you have a reading of about 56 to 58 volts and you will drive to school and back 3 times. (20 miles + -) Hope this helps. What does your voltmeter say while the charger is on?

It is bad for your batteries to run down so low. Check water and all connections! Recharge !
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

https://home.comcast.net/~sorensen.s/Batteries.jpg

These are the batteries. I have since cleaned them up, removed corrosion, replaced a couple of cables and filled them all with distilled water before charging/driving four or five times.

Thanks for your patience.

AH
Old 05-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You should get in the range of 20-30 miles per charge on a good set of batteries. Scotty is absolutely right....those numbers look way to low. Either your not getting a full charger or the batteries are toast. Make sure all the cables are in good condition or it won't get a full charge. On my carts it normally takes 8-10 hours to get a full charge....keep in mind this is with kids driving it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #17
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

O.K., thanks for the input. We don't have much cash in the kitty for new batteries for this cart. It seems to run O.K. for 12 or more minutes. The main job for this cart will be to drag a dirt softball infield before and after practices/games which will take about 10 minutes a crack. Will it continue to run for a while like this before losing total ability to recharge?
Old 05-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alameda Hornet View Post
O.K., thanks for the input. We don't have much cash in the kitty for new batteries for this cart. It seems to run O.K. for 12 or more minutes. The main job for this cart will be to drag a dirt softball infield before and after practices/games which will take about 10 minutes a crack. Will it continue to run for a while like this before losing total ability to recharge?

Maybe but not for long.
They are headed down the road of no return. Each time you run them down they come back a little less....Try this clean all connections add distilled water to 1/2 inch above the lead plates. Drop one plain aspirin in each cell put the pack on charge. Let the charger run for like 10 or 12 hours attended. Check it each hour for excessive heat at the cables or the battery sides. This may ( as in might) excite some of the cells enough to gain a couple of months. But it would be a good idea to start looking for donations and start the bake sales.
Just another thought, careful not to hurt the motor pulling a drag wothout proper power supply. Good Luck!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #19
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

Battery readings while they're charging are all 9.20-9.40. The charger shuts off on its own after about 2-3 hours after I take it out for a 15 minute drive. Before drive readings today were 8.58-8.69 and after 7.89-8.24. Also, the power gauge, any help with troubleshooting that? Thanks. AH
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 AM   #20
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

AH,

I'm going to have to agree with everyone here that your batteries are useable for now,
but, maybe on their last legs... and draging the infield with it, will kill them faster, AND, overheat your wires, controller and motor!
I, personally would consiter draging the infield with something else (quad, riding lawn mower, etc.)
until it's financially feasible to upgrade the cart!

BTW... the Powerdrive charger gauge does not light up!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car