lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #21
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Please check my wiring

I dunno why those cables are so long to begin with, the controller is normally mounted to the back of the mounting plate where your charger is hanging and those motor cables only need to be about 20” long to fit perfectly.

You have more than enough cable that axle wrap will not be a problem, but running it through those cable clamps could cause a problem Imo. I’ve seen the rubber sleeves in those type of clamps fall out and leave the sharp edge of the clamp exposed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #22
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well crap, FT! I guess I could move the controller and the charger; I think I just figured I'd be looking at the controller more for some reason and wanted to have it more accessible than the charger. I messed up when I mounted the charger before I had the body and mounted it too high, which made me re-drill and now I have extra holes-I really don't want to start all over and drill more holes with moving the two components, but I may have to.....

I looked at a lot of cable clamps and chose those since they were more robust and not just coated in rubber (like most I saw). They have a pretty good grip on the cables but I will have to watch them.

All good advice; much appreciated!

EDIT: I remember now why I mounted the controller where I did-when I put the solenoid where I did I did not have room for the charger anymore. The only thing that fit with the solenoid where it is was the controller-the charger was just too tight and close to the solenoid.

This is my first cart, and it had nothing under the seat so I am pretty much winging it. I hate making stupid mistakes, and I also hate losing my mind which I was afraid I was guilty of both here!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #23
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok, wasn’t sure what you had or didn’t have to start with. There should have been an aluminum plate coming down from the cross beam you have the charger currently mounted to. The controller and solenoid would normally be mounted on the back of that. There has to be a couple hundred pictures of the layout on this site and of course I can’t find a good one when I need it, but I’ll keep looking.
You can leave the charger where it is mounted and just install a 1/8” aluminum plate to those same brackets and drill holes to mount the controller on the back closer to the motor.

Or you can leave it all as is, and you’ll probably end up having to make a few custom cables to make everything reach properly. I assume you’ll also have some sort of BMS and other cabling to reach the batteries, and the way you have the components placed I don’t think any pre-made cable set is going to reach everything.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #24
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Still researching the BMS thing..... I really want to use the Lester charger, which creates a bit of an issue with the lithium batteries that I have (they are Lithium Ion and Lester tells me that they only support LiFePO4). BMS from the battery supplier will work with the Lester, per the seller, but they are spendy and I am becoming very cheap! That said, I don't want to ruin anything and will most likely order from him.....

Thank you again, FT. I will probably keep things where they are and just make up some custom cables where needed.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car