lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
gpshemi
Getting Wild

Default Steering Rattle

I did a search, but pretty much came up empty or machines that didn't apply.

My problem is I have a steering rattle that seems to be up by the steering wheel. Steering is tight though. Pressing down or pulling up while it's rattling makes no difference at all. I figure it's a bushing somewhere. Does anyone have any idea what's up with it? Short of the rattle it's tight.

I also have a squeak I can't find in the rear springs or perches. I guess I could run that by you as well.
gpshemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Steering Rattle

Is the rattle a bad wheel bearing?
DOOmsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshemi View Post
I did a search, but pretty much came up empty or machines that didn't apply.

My problem is I have a steering rattle that seems to be up by the steering wheel. Steering is tight though. Pressing down or pulling up while it's rattling makes no difference at all. I figure it's a bushing somewhere. Does anyone have any idea what's up with it? Short of the rattle it's tight.

I also have a squeak I can't find in the rear springs or perches. I guess I could run that by you as well.
I know what you mean about the steering wheel rattle. It seems to be common with most of the EZGO's I have driven but I dont know why it happens. I notice the rattle more on gravel driveways. Maybe it is the bushing at the top of the steering shaft?
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
gpshemi
Getting Wild

It's in the steering shaft. Not the cart itself. It might be a top bearing in the shaft. Maybe I'll remove it and see what's going on. AUgh...
Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

There could be 1 of 2 things. First there is a bushing at the top of the steering shaft that could be warn out, this is probably the issue.

Second, now i know you said that you believe its in the steering and not the cart. Here is one thing to check. put a jack in the middle of the front axle and jack it up untill the wheels are off the ground. The grab the wheel and try and move it up and down. If there is any play in the pivot spindle tube, it will cause a clunk when you go over bumps and rough terrain all the time, my electric used to do it.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
gpshemi
Getting Wild

Nah...you can really tell to listen to it that it's in the column itself. Sounds like metal on metal at the top of the tube. It's a higher pitched rattle too. Not a clunk coming from a spindle, wheel bearing, shock, ect. I think you're right. It's in the top of the column. Not sure how to fix it though. Wonder if the bushing comes out. I could turn down a replacement.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshemi View Post
Nah...you can really tell to listen to it that it's in the column itself. Sounds like metal on metal at the top of the tube. It's a higher pitched rattle too. Not a clunk coming from a spindle, wheel bearing, shock, ect. I think you're right. It's in the top of the column. Not sure how to fix it though. Wonder if the bushing comes out. I could turn down a replacement.
Pull the steering wheel off and the bushing will be starring you right in the face.

This is what yours will look like.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's noise from the steering assembly itself that is being amplified by the hollow steering column. Go get some pipe insulation (small), take off your steering wheel, remove the upper 'bearing' and slip the foam insulation tube into the column and around the steering shaft.

This is only something needed for the newer style carts with axle mounted steering - 2001 1/2 and up...

There's your freebie from MMT for this month

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
gpshemi
Getting Wild

$50 says it's that bushing...I'll look at it tonight maybe.
Maybe give that foam a try too.

THANKS!!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
gpshemi
Getting Wild

OK. After further review...I don't think it's in the bushing. I think it's play in the gear set traveling up the column. Bought this cart used, but looking at the rack and pinion there's a plate on the bottom with two bolts. It's leaked fluid of some sort from there. Thoughts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO