lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
nasty
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 87 ds not charging

My recent purchase of 87 ds will not charge. After a couple of days of reading past posts I believe I have a wiring issue. I have charging voltage coming back to the white wire on the solenoid but that is where it stops. Should the red wire from the voltage reg. connect to that white wire on the solenoid ? This one has the red wire hooked to the battery side of solenoid. Need to add that this cart has all the micros bypassed . It has key ignition and a push button starter switch to activate solenoid. Did read somewhere that the solenoid needs to stay engaged while running which would connect the white wire back to battery but not sure about that. Thanks for any help.
nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 ds not charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty View Post
My recent purchase of 87 ds will not charge. After a couple of days of reading past posts I believe I have a wiring issue. I have charging voltage coming back to the white wire on the solenoid but that is where it stops. Should the red wire from the voltage reg. connect to that white wire on the solenoid ? This one has the red wire hooked to the battery side of solenoid. Need to add that this cart has all the micros bypassed . It has key ignition and a push button starter switch to activate solenoid. Did read somewhere that the solenoid needs to stay engaged while running which would connect the white wire back to battery but not sure about that. Thanks for any help.
Butchered wiring is always going to give you headaches since you never know what the butcher was thinking when he did it. It usually starts with bypassing something and then continues to the point of no return. That said; the solenoid is indeed constant duty but be cautious and take your time when figuring this one out. There's nothing worse than an electrical fire.
You might want to check out the stickies at the top of the page. There are wiring diagrams posted which may help you fathom it out.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a few pictures scanned from my manual I can send you if you want. They show what colors each of the wires are. Shoot me an email @ klkeaton@embarqmail.com if you want them.

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oops, check out the very bottom sticky, it has the picture with the color of the wires too.
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
nasty
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did find a different diagram than the one I was looking at and it does show the red wire from the vr going to the white wire side of solenoid which makes more sense to me. Yes this cart had a mad scientist working on it before I got it and that always makes it interesting. I will have extinguisher nearby while working on it. I do have another question is will the newer type vr work in place of the old mechanical 1 ? Thanks again !
nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car