lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
scJohn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default High speed gears 8:1 or 6:1??????

I have a stretched out EZHO TXT With 26" tires and a 25hp Kohler motor. I do mostly dirt road driving and some hills at the sand pits. Never more than 4 people on at one time. Wondering which gear I should go with. I have been running stock gears for the past couple of years.
scJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
pleighdammet
Professional jerry rigger

Club Car

Default Re: High speed gears 8:1 or 6:1??????

8:1 and an 18 vanny in my cart. Rev kit and all the normal goodies on the motor. Haven't found top speed yet since even on pavement the ride is so stiff the steering wheel and column start shaking. Anyway this happens around 4000 rpm and 35 mph. 6:1 gears would be serious speed. If you keep the gov it might not be a bad way to go. $.02
pleighdammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Just keep in mind, as you gear for increase speed, its gonna cost ya some torque. With that set up of a limo, 4 people, hills at the sand pits...you might see a noticeable drop even though you have that 25hp.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
scJohn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So I guess 8:1 is going to be my happy place. I'll follow up as soon as I install them. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

26" tires already give you more gear than say typical 22s people run, seems like 8:1 would be great unless you really want max speed or you can't get any rpm out of your engine and need to go fast (like 40+). Some people do run higher gears to lower rpm at speed (actually not for more top speed) but tend to be people road running a lot and want to roll along without screaming the engine all the time. But if you offroad and do hills I'd likely not go 6:1 unless you have a reason. 8:1 should be around +10mph more on a stock cart with 18 tires, likely more for you.

If it actually slows you on hills with 25hp, you can always work the clutches a little. More gear tends to be a problem only at low speeds like 5-10mph or less before the clutch can shift, and clutch work can help but you may not notice that much with a BB.

Nice looking cart btw!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
scJohn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I appreciate the info. I do drive mostly dirt roads and yes I would like to ride around with a little less revs. Thanks so much!!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you don't do much for hills and don't tow then 6:1 will be more gear and good for roads. Should be able to figure with 8:1 you will have at least 10mph higher at the rpm you see now at upper speeds when your clutch is all the way shifted out. 6 will give more yet but hurt power more at low speeds.

My clone on 22s and stock gears is buzzing at over 30mph but I don't go that fast much, at 38gps I got it up to so far its screaming and starts to feel dangerous lol. But most trails there are tighter and 20mph is average speeds, lots of woods. We have some steep hills and sandy areas where I need power, really its better to get a utv with 4wd if I go to those areas I hate to say because 2wd just cant do it very well. But the cart is a fun ride and quieter/cooler than utvs. Would love to have a limo like yours and know a guy with a 27hp LC Kaw I maybe could get to build one, is why I like your ride. Maybe some day.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gears, high, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!