lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Rrogersne
Not Yet Wild

Default 83 parcar key switch

Hello,
I bought an 83 from an old farm yard. I was not able to get it to turn over when I first got it home. Using this forum and all of the knowledge here, I have traced the problem down to the key switch. I have seen in several posts about a key switch around $50. I have not been able to find one under $80. Anyone know where this cheaper one might be? Also if anyone else has done any looking where is the cheapest place you have found one?
Thanks in advance
Rrogersne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 83 parcar key switch

Not sure where you saw $50 but, trust me, that's not going to happen unless you can find a used one. Actually, $80 is a pretty good price.

It's like anything else. I just Google the part number or "Columbia key switch". You'll get a lot of hits. Search around and jump on the best price after shipping is considered.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

I looked around for a keyswitch several months ago and I'm thinking they were over $100 dollars then.

I've actually wondered if one could make two ordinary keyswitches work. Never really studied it though.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Rrogersne
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, yea that $80 seemed good until the 19.50 for shipping. Ended up spending $95. Hope this one lasts or I may have to look into the multiple solenoid setup that I have been reading about.
Thanks
Rrogersne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Where are you reading about a multiple solenoid setup at?
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Check this out:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...witch-fix.html

This too:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...r-f-off-r.html

This too:

http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/..._IgnSwtchFRkit
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

There was a time, maybe 5-6 years ago when, for whatever reason, directional key switches were tough to find and those that could be found were garbage quality. Guys got pretty creative with coming up with replacement solutions.

The easiest solution seemed to be to create two separate ignition circuits via the addition of extra solenoids for f/r rather than sharing the same circuit with the F/R switch.

Personally, I think of things long term. If I pay $100 for a switch and it lasts 10 years then that's actually pretty good being that these things are out in the weather, get jostled around a lot, having kids beat on them, etc. Heck, even if it only lasts 5 years it's still only $20 a year and I am ok with that. That's just me though. I can see why guys get frustrated paying $100 for a switch.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Here is a schematic for the two solenoid solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swtich Option.jpg (63.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Thanks.

I think I still have the original switch and it still works good, but at least have a backup plan. I try to keep the rain out of my switch as much as possible.

Tags
key switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar