lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Charging Question (How to keep from over-charging)

Got a question about charging batteries and I know it has been beat to death. What is the best way to take care of my new batteries? I've read different posts from charging it a few times a week, to charging it only after riding it for so long, to basically leave it on the charger if you are not on the cart. The reason I ask, is because I have also been told by my Father-In-Law (who works on them) that it is best to run it down till it is almost dead, and then re-charge it till full, then take off charger until they are almost dead again.

To me (and the other posts i've read), it seems like it is harder on a battery dis-charging it to almost nothing and then charging it all the way back up, and in turn shortening the overall battery life.

I asked my father-in-law about it, and he said the that is just to keep from "over-charging" them. He had 3 different customers this week that he had to fix because they always left theirs on the charger and it didn't shut off.

My question is, what is the best recommendation on charging these batteries? I have brand new ones, and drove them around the block a few times, then charged them till the charger cut off for the first time. I find my self driving (maybe 15 mins total) on like a Saturday, then pulling it into the garage, then charging it. Then I might go out Sunday for the same amount of time messing around the neighborhood and not plugging it in for a couple of days or even a week. I only ran it for a small amount of time, so if I do that, do I need to charge it as soon as I get back after every ride? Or is it ok to go a week or so if I am only doing small rides like that? What is the best way to get the max life out of my batteries? Should I charge on some sort of a schedule or something? Thanks
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery Charging Question (How to keep from over-charging)

A few quick points:
1) Recharge each time you have more than 15 minutes of pedal time.
2) Never discharge batteries less than 80% or you will experience shorter lifespan.
3) To avoid sulfation, do not leave batteries in a state of any less than 90% charged.
4) Use only distilled water and fill only to 1/4"-1/2" above the plates.
5) Keep your cables clean and tight.
6) For best results/longevity, get a 3 stage smart charger. IMO the old ferroresonant chargers are a little rough on batteries.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So If I ride for say maybe 15 mins, then put it on the charger, and it cuts off after say an hour (don't know how long it takes to charge it back) until its fully charged. Should I just leave it plugged in until I get back on it, or unplug it and let it sit fully charged until I ride it again?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Depending on the type of charger you have it may only cycle one time and then shut down.
The typical Ezgo with stock charger will not restart until it is physically unplugged and plugged in again.
What cart and charger do you have?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not at home right now, but it's the one in my sig, and I'm pretty sure it's a powerwise charger.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The powerwise chargers for your cart only cycle once. If you leave it plugged in it will not come back on until you unplug and replug.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not to hi-jack the thread but I have the same question as for now I piddle around for a few minutes then back in the garage. My batteries are still new and not totally broke in. I have a on-board ProTec charger and it has a 4 hour "Condition" cycle each time it is plugged in. I know it is not a problem if it is left on the charger long term as it does a "Float". But what about the heavy Condition cycle if only driven for a few minutes?
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardket View Post
I have a on-board ProTec charger and it has a 4 hour "Condition" cycle each time it is plugged in. I know it is not a problem if it is left on the charger long term as it does a "Float". But what about the heavy Condition cycle if only driven for a few minutes?
The Protech charger is a great little charger for $150 but fairly light as far as charging amps available.

I would leave the condition cycle in the 4 hour range.
It's a 3 stage smart charger, Bulk, Absorb and Float.
Your charger in Profile 1 should float at 54v for as long as you leave it plugged in.
Make sure it is fused at the batteries and keep it away from any water.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

15 AMP charge instead on 25 with the Power Wise. The 4 hours @ 60v was what I was thinking about. It is in profile 1
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO