lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
662tiger27
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default D&D Speed&Torque vs. D&D High Torque

I found these two motors on East Coast Customs web site. I am currently working on a cart build (1998 TXT 36 volt cart) to use for off roading and hunting. I have posted some other questions about runnning stock 36 volt series motors off of 48 volt systems with upgraded amps (400 to 500 amp controllers). From my responses I now know it will work as long as I do not stall the motor out in extreme terrain. So this is one option I have for the project which allows me to use parts on hand.

However, when I build this cart I don't want to have to go back at a later date and modify/change any of the components due to lack of performance. So my question is, "Has anyone used these two motors on a 48 volt system?" Which motor would you recommend?

Here are the spec about the motors:
  • SERIES- SPEED & TORQUE Motor by D&D, 8.3 Peak HP, 3250 RPM, SPEED up to 16 mph, +20% more TORQUE when used with a 36v/275 Amp stock controller. Used on E-Z-GO 1992'-Newer, YAMAHA, and MELEX SERIES models with Dana H12 19 Spline Axle.
  • SERIES- HIGH TORQUE Motor by D&D, 7.6 Peak HP, 3250 RPM, SPEED 14 mph, +20% more TORQUE when used with the stock 36v/275 Amp controller. Used on E-Z-GO 1992'-Newer, YAMAHA, and MELEX SERIES models with Dana H12 19 Spline Axle
662tiger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: D&D Speed&Torque vs. D&D High Torque

Well the torque gain with both motors is the same so why not go with the one that will gain you a little speed also? I have used the 8.3 HP motor on a few builds and it has always performed great. The last one I used it on was 48 volts with 500 amp alltrax and it would run 23 MPH and had great torque.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

I'm running the DnD speed/torque motor along with an Alltrax 4855, complete 2 ga. wiring throughout the entire cart. I'm also turning 26x10x12 g-force trilobite tires (a knock off maxxis bighorn) and I'm almost running 30 mph. My batteries are a little over two year old Trojan T-875's. I love this motor, from a standstill when I floor it, it will tote the front tires about 10 feet and 6 inches high. And these tires aren't the lighter ones out there.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Boke - does an extra 100 amps and 12 more volts give that much more power?

I'm 36 with a 400 amp AXE and a D&D - I max at 21
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Expect 33% more torque and speed
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
boke - does an extra 100 amps and 12 more volts give that much more power?

I'm 36 with a 400 amp axe and a d&d - i max at 21
21 x 1.333 = 28.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 662tiger27 View Post
I found these two motors on East Coast Customs web site. I am currently working on a cart build (1998 TXT 36 volt cart) to use for off roading and hunting. I have posted some other questions about runnning stock 36 volt series motors off of 48 volt systems with upgraded amps (400 to 500 amp controllers). From my responses I now know it will work as long as I do not stall the motor out in extreme terrain. So this is one option I have for the project which allows me to use parts on hand.

However, when I build this cart I don't want to have to go back at a later date and modify/change any of the components due to lack of performance. So my question is, "Has anyone used these two motors on a 48 volt system?" Which motor would you recommend?

Here are the spec about the motors:
  • SERIES- SPEED & TORQUE Motor by D&D, 8.3 Peak HP, 3250 RPM, SPEED up to 16 mph, +20% more TORQUE when used with a 36v/275 Amp stock controller. Used on E-Z-GO 1992'-Newer, YAMAHA, and MELEX SERIES models with Dana H12 19 Spline Axle.
  • SERIES- HIGH TORQUE Motor by D&D, 7.6 Peak HP, 3250 RPM, SPEED 14 mph, +20% more TORQUE when used with the stock 36v/275 Amp controller. Used on E-Z-GO 1992'-Newer, YAMAHA, and MELEX SERIES models with Dana H12 19 Spline Axle
Coupla things. If both motors turn the same rpm then both motors are going to make the cart go the same speed. I personally would call D&D directly and inquire about which they would recommend for your situation. I have a D&D Torque and Speed motor on my PDS cart and it is awesome! It's fast and has a ton of torque even with 6:1 gears. I don't think that you can go wrong with either motor but a 5 mintue call to D&D might clear up the decision making process.

D&D Web site
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Both motors boast the same rpm, so I don't see how one would go any faster than the other, but it should be able to tackle hills with more hp.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You beat me to the send button.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You beat me to the send button.
LOL...it's all about reaction time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO