lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
al mitchell
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default no fire

just recently purchaced a cushman truckster 1985 22hp. was running but after about 15 minutes it would die, changed the coils and starter cleaned the carb, now it just cranks over and won't fire. any idea to get to fire
al mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: no fire

Welcome aboard. We're happy to have you join us.

Did you wire the replacement coils in series like they should be? Are you sure you rebuilt the carburetor properly? Will it start briefly if you feed a spurt of raw gas or starting fluid into the carburetor? Is your fuel pump the original mechanical type or have you changed to an electric fuel pump?

We're going to need more information. If it will start briefly when raw gas or starting fluid is sprayed into the carburetor, then you have a fuel supply problem. If it still doesn't start at all then you have an ignition problem. From this test, tell us what it does or doesn't do and we can help you further. When you work on your motor it's usually best to only work on the electrical or the fuel system one at a time and not both at the same time. It's easier to figure out what is wrong if you only make changes to one at a time.

Please edit your profile "User CP" (upper left of this screen) to tell us more about you. If we know where you live one of us might live nearby and could better help you. Just the city and state or area is all that is necessary.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Al,

The bypass filter that I installed in my truckster is a Purolator F20036. You should be able to find it or an equivalent at any auto parts store. It's nearly identical to the original Cushman part, and much cheaper.

Many of the parts used in Trucksters are available through the auto parts stores, but they don't have parts listings for Cushman Trucksters, so they can't find it even if what you need is sitting on the shelf right behind them. I have a friend who has been in the auto parts business for many years and he sometimes can recognize what I bring in and go right to the replacement without even opening the parts books. If not, he is patient enough to do some searching to find it for me. He has saved me many times this way. Another source for many truckster parts, especially brake parts, is the local forklift repair shop. The brake cylinders and the master cylinder used in my 87 Cushman Truckster are also used in several models of forklifts, but when I rebuilt my wheel cylinders I was able to buy the rebuild kits for early 80's Ford F100 pickup trucks and they were identical to the original Cushman parts.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
sc3283
Getting Wild

Cushman

Al, does it look like someone in the past has been rewiring the coils? Is there a ballast resistor in the power lead going to both coils?
Coils are wired in parallel and use a ballast resistor
If you need a wiring diagram of the ignition circuit...shoot me a pm with your email...I'll be happy to email you a proper diagram
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am going to depart a little wisdom my high school auto mechanic teacher bestowed upon me as a youth. He said this " all gas internal combustion engines need only three things to run ":
#1 compression
#2 spark at the right time
#3 proper fuel air mixture
With this blueprint usually you can omit two of the three factors right away and zero in on the problem. As a backyard mechanic I have found this to be truely pearls of wisdom when figuring out what the he%$ is wrong with things!!! Helps keep you from getting " tunnel vision " sometimes. especially if your chosen vocation is not a mechanic of any kind!
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts