lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Jim's Red Buggy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Another dumb question on my Yamaha

What's the difference between an ignitor and a coil on a G16. I thought they were two different items but today I received my long awaited UPS package. I ordered a ignitor but the parts box says "ignition coil". Since I haven't disassemblied my cart yet I'm wondering if I received the wrong parts from my vendor. The parts catalogs show 2 different items but they're similiar in appearance. I'm still pulling the cart apart tomorrow but I'd hate to wait on another part. It's been one of those days (all week) again.
Jim's Red Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Another dumb question on my Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Red Buggy View Post
What's the difference between an ignitor and a coil on a G16. I thought they were two different items but today I received my long awaited UPS package. I ordered a ignitor but the parts box says "ignition coil". Since I haven't disassemblied my cart yet I'm wondering if I received the wrong parts from my vendor. The parts catalogs show 2 different items but they're similiar in appearance. I'm still pulling the cart tomorrow but I'd hate to wait on another part. It's been one of those days (all week) again.
I've been wondering when you'd post again. The Yamaha service manual can call it a "pickup" or a "T.C.I. unit" and an "ignition coil"? Whats up with that? Well what I call it is a TCI ignition coil. Your carts ignition system is a "magnito" style. You'll need to pull off the plastic shroulding ,the 2 bolts that hold the unit on, like I said before, paper match book cover works great for setting the "air gap", tighten the bolts, reinstall the shrouding, unscrew the spark plug cap (from the old unit) and rescrew it onto the new wire lead, then 2 hail mary's, that it was the problem in the first place. I'm pretty shure it is. What part # did you order? Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Jim's Red Buggy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Dave, parts box is numbered 5911 and also ENG-114. I did order the parts number you suggested #jn6-85640-01-00; I may have a generic part as I don't see any numbers on the part itself. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I tear everything up. I've been surfing posts while I waited on my part. I think it was on "a slow boat from China" but now it's up to me. Thanks, Jim
Old 11-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Just looked at "Everything carts" web site. The part you ordered (eng-114) is for a G16. Should work just fine. I have never delt with them, so I don't know where they get there parts, but I know there site sponsors, so they must be reputable. PS, if you start one more thread starting "dumb question", I will not post again, Your questions are not "Dumb", there honest questions to fix your cart. Now did you order a chrome muffler bearing while you were at it?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Jim's Red Buggy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My cart is fixed and running well thanks to Dave and his instructions on the T.C.I. replacement. Boy, that little bolt on the bottom of the plastic shroud is a bear to remove and reinstall. Maybe someday I'll be able to help someone with their cart as I learn more. Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great. Jim
Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
cart de golf
Gone Wild

I normaly remove the 4 motor mounts & tilt the engine sideways if I need to replace a cdi unit
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha