lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
wlparmer
Not Yet Wild

Default Exertise Level for Clutch Relacement

Just found this site couple days ago, read most all threads on clutch
replacement. Just wonder what level of mechanical expertise do You feel one would be comfortable doing this. Consistently do maintenance and minor mechanical work on farm equip and ATV/UTV. Is this a no brainer or do o best know what the heck you're doing.
wlparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Exertise Level for Clutch Relacement

Clutch replacement is fairly simple if you have the right tool for the job.....
You will need to be able to roll the belt off of the pulley .... Lets see what other guys have to say.

It may be helpful is you can tell us which clutch on what cart you are asking about
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

What model yammi, and drive or driven clutch? Both are pretty much no brainers, but drive clutch requires a special puller. See the "stickie" in the top section of Yamaha Gas section for step by step on driven clutch removal.......and

Welcome to BGW!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
wlparmer
Not Yet Wild

Cart is 2001 gas G16, know drive clutch is bad as per shop tech, just problem
to take 30 mi. leave and back several days later to pick up. I have the time to do, was just wondering if I'd be in over my head. Got diagnosis month ago when took in to get estimate for total refurb.
Thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

You need to buy, borrow or steal the puller tool, impact helps too and it's a 15 minute job to remove and replace with a new one.....The tool is for sale here by some or most of the site sponsors, around 35 dollars.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
wlparmer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for replies, think I'll tackle it, enjoy doing this type small projects. Have good set of tools and impact, been wanting a 3/8 unit maybe this good excuse.
Worse case scenario, call my diesel mechanic with "hey Frank guess what". This is the wife's cart for home use and horse shows so it gets well used, well traveled, and somewhat abused.
Thanks Again
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
wlparmer
Not Yet Wild

Need some advise, attempted remove bolt on primary clutch. Spins approx
180 degrees and air ratchet essentially bogs down and will not loosen. Rachet
only produces 50lb torque, am I doing something wrong or ratchet just not powerful enough. Am turning counterclockwise, appears bolt is frozen and I just not breaking loose.
Thannks
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It should come out, but is torque down pretty tight. Its not that hard to rebuild them either if you want to do that, they are pretty simple things really. Only thing is if the sheaves are worn from the belt you may have to replace that too, they get dished in from sand in the belt on older carts and eventually wear holes through them....only the aluminum parts. You can try some lube under the head of the bolt, but it should be clean inside the threads and taper unless the cart was dipped in a pond or something.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

ya the clutches are torqued to 54 ft lbs (on a g9 anyways) so i would try more force on it first, and maybe some pen. oil.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
wlparmer
Not Yet Wild

Have entire new clutch from "Cart Parts Plus" just trying to remove original. Appeared to me just not be enough power. When ratchet, spins down to fully closed then ratchet stalls out. If need to use breaker bar to break loose how do I stabilize clutch/drive shaft????
Thanks

Tags
clutch, g16
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha