lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 engine problems

Greetings folks i just recently got my paws on a G2 thats having a little trouble that has me boggled. When i got it the thing refused to start and backfired so i tracked the problem down to a very black spark plug.

It ran very well but only when the choke is engaged, i went threw a few threads here that suggested cleaning the carb so when i went back to it i wanted to start it up to show a friend and it wouldent start (it cranked over but wouldent fire) so i pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning with some gum out carb cleaner jets and all. Started up agean thankfully but still has the choke issue.

I know a little about working on cars but mostly from self teaching but all my experience is with fual injection so this carb thing is kinda..odd to me haha

Thank you for your time and i hope i gave enough info on the issue

here she is at the moment before my radical build begins mwhahaha
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
SteveRand
Yamahaulin' CC Rider

Mixed Breed

Default Re: G2 engine problems

Hi Recoil, and welcome to BGW! You'll have your little G2 in awesome shape in no time with the info here.

First off, these carts have quite sensitive carbs on them. If you have to choke it to get it to run good, it's running lean. This is usually caused by a leaky - or missing - air cleaner box, or restricted passages in the carb. If the float is adjusted too low, or the fuel pump is very weak, or there is a restriction in the fuel line (dirty fuel filter, kinked line...), you might have the same problem.

Make sure everything is clean and tight, especially around the top of the air cleaner box. You may need to rebuild the carb, but don't worry! It's a pretty simple little carb, and we're always here to help.

Keep us posted, and enjoy your Yami!
SteveRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

i need to get a new air filter thats for sure, the one thats in it is rather dirty looking
is there a good place to buy one on line or could i just take it in to a normal auto parts place to get a match?

as for the box its missing one of the rubber clips so i guess i should find a way to seal it up better

the guy who owned it before me said he just replaced the fual pump and when i took the carb off i turned it over for a bit to make sure it was pumping fual so that should be ok, with the float how would one know if it was to low or how is it even ajusted? it dident look like there was any way to do so
Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW!!

The air box lid sounds like the problem, make sure it's sealed tight. Check with our sponsors for the filter.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

ordered a new filter and clips, now to wait for them to show up and see what i can do lol

all so i am thinking of adding two seats to the back behind the current one's, will the rear axel hold up well with the weight of 4 people sitting over it if i change/add bigger springs?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

The rear axle will be fine.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
GarMaster
Not Yet Wild

Hey Recoil, just to let you know I have the same problem....will run only with the choke pulled out.....

Things I have tried so far are: new carb, new fuel pump, spark plug, fuel filters

I am also down to the air breather and filter? not sure what else to try...

I did trial this evening running with the air breather off and it runs good when I do this...

not sure what this means but will purchase a new filter and maybe a whole new box....

will let you know how things turn out....
GarMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It might run with the open carb because that screws up the ariflow into the carb. That is why even racing engines use velocity stacks on the bare carbs to smooth airflow into the carb. Needs choke that is too much air or not enough gas.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
chompy
Getting Wild

Don't forget to make sure the that the foam rubber strip seal is in place in the air filter lid grove.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Greetings folks i just recently got my paws on a G2 thats having a little trouble that has me boggled. When i got it the thing refused to start and backfired so i tracked the problem down to a very black spark plug.

It ran very well but only when the choke is engaged, i went threw a few threads here that suggested cleaning the carb so when i went back to it i wanted to start it up to show a friend and it wouldent start (it cranked over but wouldent fire) so i pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning with some gum out carb cleaner jets and all. Started up agean thankfully but still has the choke issue.

I know a little about working on cars but mostly from self teaching but all my experience is with fual injection so this carb thing is kinda..odd to me haha

Thank you for your time and i hope i gave enough info on the issue

here she is at the moment before my radical build begins mwhahaha

Not sure what everyone else posted. I didn't read.

G2 backfiring is usually the throttle on the carb is not closing all the way when you let off the pedal. If you have to use the choke all the time, usually you have an air leak somewhere: airbox not completely sealed, missing some internals of the airbox, spacer from carb to intake, gasket, .....

Another suggestion for this model cart. I'd also check the fuel filter on this model. Crappy design in my opinion. They are located in the bottom of the tank and can corrode and then stop up your fuel pump/lines. I suggest unscrewing the cap/filter, cut it out, make sure the seal on the cap is still good, reinstall and ad an inline fuel filter between the tank and pump. You can also take your pump apart and clean it if needed. They get filled with grit over time and cause issues as well.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha