lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Default AAAHHH! Still having battery woes- Brushes?

Problem-Battery acts dead though getting 14-15 volts charge.

Runs fine then you step on the pedal and clutch tries to turn but acts like not enough volts to do so. Volts drop to 5 on multimeter when this happens. Put jumper box on and starts with no issue. Drive around check starts and stops no issues- getting 15 at battery. then no start issue again!

Replaced-Battery [load tested and its good]- new voltage regulator today [was getting 20 volts at battery so that was bad] issue also did it then too. Solenoid. All wiring is good.

I thought I had this licked today with the new VR. I thought it was a battery charging issue but now I am thinking its the starter???? I am getting great charge back to the battery so I am thinking that is not the issue.

What would cause a starter to work sometimes and not others? Is the additional volts from the jumper box the key here to an answer?

Brushes??
Beachrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: AAAHHH! Still having battery woes- Brushes?

How about replacing the battery? Borrow from your car. You could as well check the ground. The starter generator should be connected direct to the battery negative pole.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Beachrights
Getting Wild

New battery- load tested- it actually had more cranking amps than rated so no go.

I just went out and looked at one my brushes [neighbors must think I'm nuts- out in the dark with a flashlight looking at a golfcart!!] it is well above the guide so I don't think they are undersized. Plan is to pull starter and look inside.

Still looking for ideas! Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Mine was doing that, sometimes it would just not start. I found the main posts/clamps to be dirty (after turning them with vice grips a few times and then it started) so I cleaned them with that wire brush type cleaning tool. It still did it. I was not happy and cleaned again, no change. Finally I took a round file and filed the inside of the clamps out and a flat file and filed the posts all the way around. Put them back on, no problems at all. They LOOKED clean, but it would not work until I ground them off.

Also check the ground cable on the engine end like victor says, common to have wiring issues and bad grounds on these. Note the frame is not ground, everything has a ground wire. Also you can carefully check the cable connections when it will not start, if it is turning over slow and there is a bad connection it should make the connection hot where it is bad.

I think you can run a cart on a jumper pack alone, it takes very little battery to run and start them. Any cheap car battery in working condition should have more than enough power unless you are running huge lights/stereo/etc all the time. My battery is shot, its been in there 3yr I think after it would barely start a truck in the winter. Last fall it turned over really slow at 45F after sitting a week.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Check the voltage on the negative battery cable at the stater generator (push on the pedal) and there should be no voltage drop, if so, bad negative cable (they do go bad sometimes, even though they look good). Now put your meter on the cable (from the solenoid to the starter), push on the pedal, you should have full battery voltage every time you push the pedal, once again, could be a bad cable. Most likely, your brushes are worn or sticking. Also the armature commutator (wear the brushes contact) may have an "arc'd" segament/groove. In that case the armature would need to be replaced. Some have said they had them "turned", I've never felt there was enough "material" to do that. If you take the starter out/apart, PLEASE do not breath that black dust!!!!! It is very very nasty! Let us know what your findings are. Good luck.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Beachrights
Getting Wild

All good ideas to look at! The thing I keep thinking about is WHY does it start when I add the jumper box???? In theory am I "adding" cranking amps to my battery and if so is that enough to get stuck brushes moving or overcome a bad cable??? I am not moving the clutch to a "new" spot so thats whats confusing.

I have been chasing this gremlin for 2 months now and every time I think I have it fixed it shows again!

I"ll start with SHO's idea- plus its easy!!

Keep em coming!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I tried suggesting a pretty easy test. These test's I would do at the shop. Time is money and my customers don't want to spend alot for me to find the problem. Hope any of my test procedure helps, but you have to decide for yourself what to try next. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Smallblock- I am assuming you work in the repair field based on the above reply-if so, I did not know that when you replied. I think I might have ruffled your feathers by saying I was going to try Sho's idea 1st and I did not mean any harm. In fact your idea was the next step if cleaning the terms did not work- that would rule out bad contact at the posts. I need to have the problem present itself again to try 1- check voltage as you stated. 2- check for hot cables 3- turn clutch to see if "dead spot" is on starter. 4- I think I am going to change brushes just to be sure.

If none of these are shown then its back to square one.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If it is the clamps, your jumper is on the outside and the battery post inside. So your jumper is not affected by dirty connection there.....if that is the case like mine was. And they looked clean, it was like the lead crystallized or something not sure.

I used the plier test on the clamps in that case, but a meter is always a great way to test.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Sho- were you having a complete no start or was the clutch trying to move [slowly]?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha