lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Speed

The ones I ran were newer, lol, I beat the living daylights out of them. I never abused them, but ran them hard. I took a couple down the road a couple miles to lunch sometimes and just hammered them all the way. Had a gravel drive used to hold it on the floor and powerslide all the way around a 60' long building nonstop, well you get the idea. They were injected I never touched the fuel system or put mix in them. Really at high rpm they don't have much power at all. They did always have yamalube in them. The one I modded the most clocked 31 next to a motorcycle, you could not go down the road wot without sunglasses on. It was all stock appearance-wise. I got that cart for a work cart because the governor shaft had broken off flush with the case, likely a golfer screwing with it. I think they sold more beer at that place than anything else.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Blake8504
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So upon looking at it, it seems the governor is like several rods all linked together? I was messing with it, but not sure what I'm supposed to be messing with, and now one of the rods wont go into the plastic clip, are those parts easy to replace?? Also what is the thing connecte to by the exhaust for?
Blake8504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They put a valve on the exhaust mostly to quiet it down at part throttle, which it is at most of the time at 12mph on a course. It needs to be fully open at full throttle (at carb). Unless the carb is falling over sideways in the rubber boot none of that should ever have to be changed but people do it. When the governor arm on the trans starts to move it should open the carb and the valve at the same time generally. The engine should start and idle slow before the carb starts to open. To change the speed you turn the screw in on the governor arm, it pushes on the spring in there causing more pressure on the throttle cable from the pedal, which pulls the governor arm back more against the governor in the trans. Some put a longer screw in there. Temporary you can get a pair of the small pocket vicegrips and where the throttle cable connects to spring clamp that spring to the governor arm. The vicegrip handles will be near the intake hose make sure they don't catch on it. Eventually the pressure will wear out the throttle cable. You can disable it by taking the arm off and drilling the shaft hole out smooth, no flats in it, then it rotates on shaft and no governor anymore. You may need another return spring when you do that also make sure the arm can not rise off the shaft.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Blake8504
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well crud, looks like I've been messing with the wrong stuff.Can you get those plastic clips from like lowes, and also I guess if the metal rod messes up it's just some all thread?

So the screw that adjust the spring on the governor, the tighter it is in themore pressure on the spring causing it to go faster correct?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I doubt anyone has them, someone parting one out maybe or dealer. Yes some glue of some kind might work on the threads there should not be that much pressure on them.

Right the more tension on the spring the more it will overcome the weights in the trans, so faster it will go before the weights overcome the spring. This works just like a lawnmower engine, but the governor is on the trans not the engine speed. The CVT keeps the engine running the right rpm, at least for the speeds a cart is built to run at. When it revs up high at high speed it is because the CVT shifted all the way to its highest 'gear' and can't shift anymore.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Blake8504
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ah ok, well I may just mess with it and drill out the piece to by pass it all together, but right now I've gor a missing link in all of the plastic and and rods,(From me messing with it) can you just wire the exhaust flap open completely, or take it off to elimiate that moving piece?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes many do, in fact yamaha made some of them without the valve. Just make sure it is open all the way and fix it there.

Or yes you can take the cable off the spring and put it directly on the carb, but usually have to make a bracket to hold the cable.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #18
Blake8504
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, thanks for all the help! I was confused and thinking that all that linkage stuff was the actuall governor, but the governor is on the back by the throttle cable with a spring in it. Now it's starting to make sense lol.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes governor is in the trans. Like a lawn engine its just a set of fly weights that fly out with more speed, and move a collar over to move the governor arm over...to slow it down. If you put a spring on your input (cart gas pedal, or lawnmower throttle) then the weights find a balance against the spring at a certain speed. You change it with spring pressure buy changing the input, more and the weights have to spin faster to counter the spring. With a cart it is ground speed controlled, with a lawnmower it is engine rpm.

The arm through the shrouding does nothing but attach the exhaust valve. Some lawn engines do use a sail against the fan for speed control, mostly old verticals on push mowers. That is why they very rpm so much at lower throttle while a rider with internal governor is a lot better at it.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
DocHemi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK..I have been following this post, and have a similiar ?

The rod that goes to the exhaust valve.....can I remove it all together?
If so do I need to to anything else besides make sure the valve stay open all the time?

I am asking because the white plastic clips that hold the rod to the fan shroud are missing, and I have yet to find replacements.

That and the fact that the noise level will not matter to me....just want to make sure i dont further mess up this cart (at least more than it allready is)
DocHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha