lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
TheLoringLank
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Clutch noise on G16A - Video & Pictures inside

This is a 1999 Yamaha G16a that I purchased for my grandparents to tool around on at our cottage in Northern Ontario. The guy I purchased it from assured me that it was in great shape and that both clutches had been completely replaced and it was tip top.

Anyways, my grandparents maybe got 10kms use of out it. Lots of noise and not very good performance. I replaced the secondary sliding sheave along with the secondary spring seat since they were worn to the metal and installed a performance torsion spring. The golf cart worked a lot better but still made a lot of noise when operating. It was also dying on hills as if it wasn't getting enough fuel under load.

Anyways, the cart is home now and I'm playing around with it trying to figure out what's going on. I took off the dust cap off of the primary sliding sheave to see if there are any issues there and found that the rollers are completely flat-spotted and are in need of replacement. I'm also wondering if the noise I'm getting is belt squeal from things being improperly adjusted.

I'm a total newbie but do have some mechanical skills. Wondering if you could point me in the right direction so that I can get this thing running and driving great.

Here's some pictures:

Rollers:

Weights:

Here are the videos of it running:

TheLoringLank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
TheLoringLank
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch noise on G16A - Video & Pictures inside

Just a note:

Cart sounds completely fine when the belt is removed.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The bad rollers will kill shifting, I'd fix that first there are various posts here about them. You only have about 9hp and if it does not shift right 9hp does not get to the ground. Check the inside of the clutches for wear they will get dished in from belt wear, mostly in sandy/dirty conditions. That also hurts shifting and can eventually wear holes in it. That makes a lot of noise but usually pretty obvious if they wear through. Is it lifted? Not sure you need a spring if not, but don't know what spring it is either. The noise could just be the rollers if different size they can unbalance the clutch, rattle, etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Look at the top weight pic and note how close the ramp
is to being off the side of the roller.
You may need to replace them as well, check them and
the pivot bolt for wear also.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I hate when sellers are dishonest! Let's start with the primary clutch (engine clutch), yes you will need to replace the rollors and buy the looks of the wear, the pins also, I do not have to change the wieghts very often. When the weight gets past the flat spot on the rollor (when clutch is fully engaged), it will "lock in the closed position. Check both sheave's (were the belt rides for extreme wear or not smooth). Now since you said the noise is not there with the belt off tells me its in the transaxle or secondary clutch (ouch!). Did you install the special spacer/collar (to replace a damaged circlip/groove on the input shaft)? Can you show a picture of the space between the spring seat and transaxle? Should be almost a finger width. Hate to say this, but did you try the new sliding sheave on the input shaft and feel for play before installing everything? , from the second vid, looks like the sliding sheave is "wobbling" on the input shaft as it opens and closes. Don't want to jump to conclussions, so more great info and checking from you we can isolate the problem. PS, check the belt for any "gouges" and should be over a inch in width. If I can help, I will.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
TheLoringLank
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks so much for the help so far everyone.

The sheaves look to be very smooth and the wear is gradual and even.

I definitely installed the spacer (it was a brass one) between the spring seat and the transaxle. I would say that the gap there is around 1/4"-3/8". Here's a picture:

I noticed that the ramp shoes are pretty worn already even after only maybe 3kms of use since installing everything from new.

I did check for play and all the tolerances seemed good.

The sliding sheave does have a bit of a wobble to it when everything is turning at a low RPM but seems to even out when RPMs rise (although you can't really see it clearly at higher RPMs).

Here's another video just focusing on the secondary clutch:

The belt is within spec, but there are a few gouges at the edges, it also seems to rest on the frame below when the engine isn't running (seems like there is a lot of slack). There also seems to be a considerable amount of grease on the belt as well - could it be slipping because of that?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Check the input shaft bearing play, grab the clutch assy, try to move it up and down or sideways. But, my "gut" feeling is the previous owner let the sliding sheave bushing go so long (and kept driving the car) that the input shaft is damaged were the sliding sheave bushing rides. And that is why my "gut" hurts.....that is a really...really expensive part. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...hope I'm wrong. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Whoa, you can't have any grease on the belt thats bad where is it coming from? Yes check the secondary make sure the key is in there right and its seated on the taper tight. Unless its only the inner sheave that is wobbling? I've not seen one but heard of it damaging the shaft. The ramps need to be smooth and if new they should be (or you can sand them with some fine paper), then they don't wear. You don't need to grease the plastic shoes just that center bushing. If you go in dirt the grease on the ramps can collect dirt and wear faster. You can check the engine mounts that is what keeps the engine from moving into the trans under torque, makes the belt too loose, but my G9 properly adjusted the belt hits the frame at rest, don't think it would go much more though.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
TheLoringLank
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Check the input shaft bearing play, grab the clutch assy, try to move it up and down or sideways.
Thanks Dave. Clutch assembly is tight... no movement at all in any direction. I'll pull apart the secondary and check to see if the shaft is damaged. I don't recall being shocked by anything when I put it together. It fit together nice and tight as I recall. I wonder if the woodruff key worked its way loose...

I'm going to clean up the belt after I take everything apart again and see what's up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha