lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
rangerdaver91
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Governor rod adjustment

Can someone explain to me how to correctly adjust the governor rod on an 87 gas Club Car (FZ340 Engine), Thanks
rangerdaver91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Before I tell you how, we must get a few things straight; 1. You are a higher risk when traveling fast, 2) You are at a higher risk of damaging engine and other components of your drivetrain.

First, put the cart up as high as you can on jack stands so you will have more working room. Jack STANDS, not a jack!!!!

On the drivers side of the cart, you'll see a bronze-ish rod linking the accelerator to the throttle control in the engine compartment. There are latches on each end that must be pushed towards the middle of the rod for it to be removed. After you have it removed, lengthen it out as far as it will go without being wobbly. To do so, you must loosen each nut, turn the latches counterclockwise, and re-tighten the nuts. Be sure to get the latches in the same position when you tighten them so they line back up with the linkage correctly.

Now,look at the nut on the end of the gas pedal tension spring, loose it until there is about 1 thread visible of the shaft is left.

Reinstall control rod, and push accelerator until the cart starts (in maintenance mode) and keep adjusting the black foot until the TOP of the pedal moves about an inch before it starts.

This will get a stock cart on stock tires about another 3-4 mph. This is the easiest way to get some more speed. If you are feeling industrious, you can get another rod exactly like that only about 1/2 inch longer and keep adjusting in the same manner above until you get the speed you want. You won't be going 55 or anything, but you'll be able to move a bit better than you could before.

In most cases this works, but there are some freak cases where it does nothing. I'll take a look at my 91 and see if I can come up with something.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well said NO NO
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

good boy.........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NO NO E-Z-GO!

On the drivers side of the cart, you'll see a bronze-ish rod linking the accelerator to the throttle control in the engine compartment. There are latches on each end that must be pushed towards the middle of the rod for it to be removed. After you have it removed, lengthen it out as far as it will go without being wobbly. To do so, you must loosen each nut, turn the latches counterclockwise, and re-tighten the nuts. Be sure to get the latches in the same position when you tighten them so they line back up with the linkage correctly.

Now,look at the nut on the end of the gas pedal tension spring, loose it until there is about 1 thread visible of the shaft is left.

Reinstall control rod, and push accelerator until the cart starts (in maintenance mode) and keep adjusting the black foot until the TOP of the pedal moves about an inch before it starts.

This will get a stock cart on stock tires about another 3-4 mph. This is the easiest way to get some more speed. If you are feeling industrious, you can get another rod exactly like that only about 1/2 inch longer and keep adjusting in the same manner above until you get the speed you want. You won't be going 55 or anything, but you'll be able to move a bit better than you could before.

In most cases this works, but there are some freak cases where it does nothing. I'll take a look at my 91 and see if I can come up with something.
It worked for me... AND... the 4 other carts I've done it too!!!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
OzCop
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Governor rod adjustment

Is the process the same for an 06 Precedent model?
Thanks.
OzCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Basically.
You can just put a zip tie loosely on the spring between the transaxle governor arm and accelerator cable. Leave it loose or you'll be on the RPM limiter. If you want to ditch the limiter, unhook the ground strap attached to it.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
IAMCOOL
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCop View Post
Is the process the same for an 06 Precedent model?
Thanks.
before you do that there was a service bulliten on the speed of the prec....check the distance between the linkage on the gov and the dust boot on the accel cable... there should be 1 and 3/4 inches between the hole in the gov arm and the dust boot... if not slide it back and crimp the boot band tight... then do what no no said ...the prec will easy outrun a ds...done the way mentioned above....thanks no no
IAMCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NO NO E-Z-GO! View Post
Basically.
You can just put a zip tie loosely on the spring between the transaxle governor arm and accelerator cable. Leave it loose or you'll be on the RPM limiter. If you want to ditch the limiter, unhook the ground strap attached to it.
Like this???

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
OzCop
Not Yet Wild

Hmmmm, since I couldn't see the rod you were talking about on my 06 Precedent, today I ended up loosening the lever that connects the accelerater to the transaxle case, and slighly moving the rod that has a small hole in the top end, then retightening the lever nut. This certainly made a difference in how the cart performs, but it would hit a brick wall at upper RPMs. I kept adjusting till it was smooth when it hit the rev limiter, and it appears to have a lot more grunt now. Question is, did I screw up anything by making this adjustment....
Thanks.
OzCop
OzCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car