lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Driven Clutch Machining

I have a question about driven clutch machining. I just put 22" tires on my '87 DS and have only so far driven it on shallow hills around my yard and in the allotment road behind my house, and I've only driven it myself with no passengers. So far it seems just fine. It may have lost a little bit of torque at take-off but still seems to get up and go just fine for the most part.

One thing I've noticed (and it's a plus) is that what I may have lost in get-up-and-go torque, I seem to have gained in higher top speed. Makes sense, since the new tires have a larger diameter. Does that make sense?

So what I want to know is, when Cart Parts Plus offers machining and/or a torque spring upgrade for the driven clutch, which one do I want? Or do I want both? I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so-to-speak. I like the higher top speed and don't want to lose it if the power band is shifted too far down to boost low end torque.

Any thoughts?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Driven Clutch Machining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I have a question about driven clutch machining. I just put 22" tires on my '87 DS and have only so far driven it on shallow hills around my yard and in the allotment road behind my house, and I've only driven it myself with no passengers. So far it seems just fine. It may have lost a little bit of torque at take-off but still seems to get up and go just fine for the most part.

One thing I've noticed (and it's a plus) is that what I may have lost in get-up-and-go torque, I seem to have gained in higher top speed. Makes sense, since the new tires have a larger diameter. Does that make sense?

So what I want to know is, when Cart Parts Plus offers machining and/or a torque spring upgrade for the driven clutch, which one do I want? Or do I want both? I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so-to-speak. I like the higher top speed and don't want to lose it if the power band is shifted too far down to boost low end torque.

Any thoughts?

Just give Tom @ CPP a call and tell him what you want,he is da man on tuning clutches (and everything else carts as well!)
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Spring, machining the secondary will bring back some
of your lost torque due to increased diameter. The spring
will hold back the shift forcing the engine to rev a little higher
during the shift out of the clutches .
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

I've got the spring and clutch machined and it seems to me like the machining was more bang for the buck. It's hard to say for certain because I haven't tried both independent of the other but with both, my cart has great torque and good top end speed. I've got 23" tires and I get 22mph with the governor zip tied.
mndanielsncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Penrod
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I just received my driven clutch back from Tom at CPP and the turn around was less then a week. UPS picked it up on Monday from my door step and FedEx dropped it off to me Saturday (yesterday).

I ordered both the spring upgrade and the clutch machining since a few friends told me that it worked wonders for they're carts. It also says on the CPP site that adding the spring upgrade with the machining of the clutch will increase the torque more then either single option by itself.
Penrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
I just received my driven clutch back from Tom at CPP and the turn around was less then a week. UPS picked it up on Monday from my door step and FedEx dropped it off to me Saturday (yesterday).

I ordered both the spring upgrade and the clutch machining since a few friends told me that it worked wonders for they're carts. It also says on the CPP site that adding the spring upgrade with the machining of the clutch will increase the torque more then either single option by itself.
What's your tire size and how well did it work?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Penrod
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
What's your tire size and how well did it work?
That's the problem, I have no idea how well it works as I'm waiting for my wheels to be delivered. They will be here Tuesday but I work out of town during the week so it will be Saturday before I can give a good review.

The tires that I'm going with are 23x10x12 Swamp Foxes.
Penrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Yeah. The machining allows the sheaves to come closer together at take-off. Starts the belt at a higher diameter for increased torque at take off. The spring you should notice more at top end... I had the spring/machined sheave on a G1 I had about 4 years ago and it was the cats azz! Loved the upgrade!
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have tired 93' CC DS with Kawi FE290 - with 6" lift and 22's, lost torque with larger tires and gained maybe a few higher mph. Sent the Driven clutch to Tom at CPP for machining and power spring. ($100 bucks and had it back within 5 working days) The take off is much smoother and has plenty more torque..loaded cart and it pulls the hills without problem. Probably best bang for the buck mod IMO. Top speed? not sure since I have never GPS and running factory governor and no zip ties. Top speed is not my main objective since most campgrounds you can't get over 15mph anyway - just wanted to climb hills and plan on plowing next year.
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

do both, it is worth every penny!
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car