lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
jeostang
Not Yet Wild

Default Just purchased my 1st Club Cart

I was looking high and low for a deal within a 200 mile radius. I was all set on one about 150 miles away for 1800, when I decided to check my local golf coarse. There was one for sale, for 800, It starts drives well body is good condition just dirty. The Girl in the club house said she thinks its a 1999 or 01. The car runs sounds like it needs a good tune up. I offered 500 and we made the deal. I pick it up tomorrow. I plan to go though the whole thing top to bottom. Any help on what to do to get it running good would be great. I plan on using it at the track to push a car and doing choirs around the house. Can't wait to get a lift and wheels on it.
jeostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Just purchased my 1st Club Cart

Post some pics up in the Members Rides section when you are able to. And welcome aboard!
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Welcome, you found an awesome forum, I'm a newer member and I love it here, most of the guys are super friendly and can help with most questions.

I bought an older, but similar sounding cart around a year ago, and these guy's knowledge and some cash got it up and rolling pretty good. Looking good to (check out my build thread for pics)

I would recommend getting a tune up kit (plug, fuel filters, air filter) change the fluids (oil and rear end) Change out the belts and check out a new springs for your clutches. That should have you rolling pretty good, and you'll need the Clutch spring upgrade for when you lift it.

Enjoy the ride and this awesome forum.
Cmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeostang View Post
I was looking high and low for a deal within a 200 mile radius. I was all set on one about 150 miles away for 1800, when I decided to check my local golf coarse. There was one for sale, for 800, It starts drives well body is good condition just dirty. The Girl in the club house said she thinks its a 1999 or 01. The car runs sounds like it needs a good tune up. I offered 500 and we made the deal. I pick it up tomorrow. I plan to go though the whole thing top to bottom. Any help on what to do to get it running good would be great. I plan on using it at the track to push a car and doing choirs around the house. Can't wait to get a lift and wheels on it.
You can figure out the year quickly if you read the vin which is located below the dash, where the footboard comes up to meet the dash. There is a sticker on there with a long number on it. Sounds like it is a gas DS so the vin would start with AG and then have either 99 or 01 following it. That will tell you the year.

As for where to start with it, I would start with the basics. Oil change right away and then I would pull the carb and clean it out real good. If you have a racecar I'm sure you've worked with carbs before but if not don't be nervous, the cart carb is pretty straight forward and cleaning it is not a challenging task. While you have the airbox detached from the carb you may as well change the air filter too. Once the carb is clean I would replace the fuel filters to make sure it stays clean. Then check the battery next and replace if needed. You'll know right away (as soon as you drive it) if the drive belt is really bad but be sure to check it out and replace if necessary (along with the generator belt). Check the plug wire and plug, probably just replace the plug cause..well why not?

If you look online you can find tune up kits that come with an oil filter, new plug, fuel filters and an air filter. If I remember right the whole kit is like 20-30 bucks.

After that basic stuff I would put the cart in maintenance mode and check the operation of the clutches. Make sure they are shifting smoothly as well as shifting fully. Check the fluid in the rear transaxle and fill/replace as needed.

After that you are pretty much tuned up and ready to go. Let the fun begin!!
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
jeostang
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
You can figure out the year quickly if you read the vin which is located below the dash, where the footboard comes up to meet the dash. There is a sticker on there with a long number on it. Sounds like it is a gas DS so the vin would start with AG and then have either 99 or 01 following it. That will tell you the year.

As for where to start with it, I would start with the basics. Oil change right away and then I would pull the carb and clean it out real good. If you have a racecar I'm sure you've worked with carbs before but if not don't be nervous, the cart carb is pretty straight forward and cleaning it is not a challenging task. While you have the airbox detached from the carb you may as well change the air filter too. Once the carb is clean I would replace the fuel filters to make sure it stays clean. Then check the battery next and replace if needed. You'll know right away (as soon as you drive it) if the drive belt is really bad but be sure to check it out and replace if necessary (along with the generator belt). Check the plug wire and plug, probably just replace the plug cause..well why not?

If you look online you can find tune up kits that come with an oil filter, new plug, fuel filters and an air filter. If I remember right the whole kit is like 20-30 bucks.

After that basic stuff I would put the cart in maintenance mode and check the operation of the clutches. Make sure they are shifting smoothly as well as shifting fully. Check the fluid in the rear transaxle and fill/replace as needed.

After that you are pretty much tuned up and ready to go. Let the fun begin!!
Thanks for all the info guys.

Should I change to a heavier clutch for pushing a car?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^

If you are going to lift the cart you can put in the torque spring to regain some of your torque that you'll lose by going to the taller tires.

Again, as a racecar guy I'm sure you understand how rear end gearing works in relation to tire height. Once you lift the cart and put on taller tires you are effectively lowering (numerically lowering) your rear end ratio. The taller tires will gain you top end cruising speed but will rob you of some low end torque. To compensate for that you can install a spring kit into your driven clutch that will control how your clutch opens and effectively increase your low end torque.

Here is a quck link, pretty much every cart parts place has a spring available

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-110...ch-spring.aspx
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
jeostang
Not Yet Wild

Here it is, turns out its a 99. Runs very well. For 500 bucks I think I got a good deal.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...tml#post868698
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks like I'd expect for $500... Good find!!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
jeostang
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Cmoney,

I did find one issue. Sometimes I need to press the gas a bunch of times to get it to start cranking. I can hear a click each time then nothing. If I press it on and on a few more times it will start to crank an start up. If this were a car I would think its the starter/ solenoid?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

ha! That'sCrazy, My 88 Does The Same Thing!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car