lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
ATV8067
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 Clutch

This is the clutch that I have on my 85 G1. I would like to know if this is a normal looking clutch? This is my first build and I'm learning a lot from this forum!
I did a complete tear down and starting back up. While assembling the clutch, the manual says to line up y-1 to y-1. My does not have a y-1 on the sliding sleeve. Any help would be appreciated! P.S. This is my first post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch2.jpg (88.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch3.jpg (94.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch4.jpg (93.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch5.jpg (91.5 KB, 14 views)
ATV8067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Clutch

looks to me like your clutch is wore out to no end. Someone correct me if im wrong but i would say your in need of a clutch
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
ATV8067
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Chuddly. That was my first impression too. Thought I'd ask the experts!
Now on the hunt for a clutch..
Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I have never seen a sliding sheave face worn thru like that. Are the weights and pins tight in the outer sheave? If they are, you would just need to find a new or good used sliding sheave. May want to get a new belt....had to damaged with all those hole in that one.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
ATV8067
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Smallblock, I'm just going to replace the whole clutch. It definitely had some abuse. I measured the clutch spring, manual says 2.90 in max. Mine was 3.25 in. , so I would say somebody put the wrong spring in and it was to strong.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

well the torque spring kit (give you lower end power) is a little bigger so that very well may be what you have. so dont throw that spring away yet because you may want it
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
ATV8067
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

will do Chuddly. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'll guess that is the original G1 primary on engine? Not sure you can get parts for those or you could put a new sheave in. Those are good clutches, the longer spring would make it engage at higher rpm for harder takeoff. The wear is from dirt and dust. The aluminum wears like that I just put a new half in a G9 clutch for that and the secondary sheave, both were worn through in fact the secondary actually broke off finally.

Newer yamaha clutches do not have a spring in the primary and you can not adjust the engagement. Check out the tech clutches, though I did see a place saying they would offer comet parts this month.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
ATV8067
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks sho305! The tech clutch that your talking about, is that a brand name or type of clutch? Available where? I have found out yesterday that all the main parts for the original clutch is discontinued.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

See if TNT has any of those parts, they do have some old stuff. It might be out there used if you want to hunt. Cartpartsplus has the tech iirc, go to big block section and look at the sticky for clutches they list who has them....but you likely want the stock replacement clutch for a taper shaft with the gen pulley, not the 1" keyed most big blocks use. Comet makes the 94 too but parts hard to find they went out of biz, however supposedly the new owners are going to produce more not sure whats up with that. If you want to change weights or springs you need them to be available is what I am saying.

You can also use any newer yamaha clutch, however the big cover will hit the frame if you put a lift for 22s on your cart and you have to mod the frame to clear. Keep that in mind for whatever clutch you get, but may not be able to avoid that. Note you can't mod/adjust the yamaha clutches like the aftermarket, in case you want it to pull the front tires when you take off....lol...yes its possible but you will hate driving it that way.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha