lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2004 EZGO TXT Starting Problem

It sounds like your float is not shutting off the fuel completely. It may have looked ok but may still be bad or something may be keeping it from closing all the way. When it sat the fuel in the carb mostly evaporated so the bowl was close to empty when it started. I had one do this and after pulling the carb like 4 times to clean it I found a small piece of rubber in the needle seat that had not come out even after spraying cleaner everywhere. Also shake the float and make sure it is empty as in not leaking.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
It sounds like your float is not shutting off the fuel completely. It may have looked ok but may still be bad or something may be keeping it from closing all the way. When it sat the fuel in the carb mostly evaporated so the bowl was close to empty when it started. I had one do this and after pulling the carb like 4 times to clean it I found a small piece of rubber in the needle seat that had not come out even after spraying cleaner everywhere. Also shake the float and make sure it is empty as in not leaking.
Yeah I'm going to through it again. Thanks for the advice.
hsdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #13
dewzer
Getting Wild

The wrong spark plug gap will cause a world of hurt on a man. Air flow restriction to the carb. is another. Last, a partally plugged exhaust.
Your on the right track by adjusting the valves but it sounds like a carb issue.
When the float pushes the needle up into its seat the float should be level with the carb itself.
With the carb off and the needle and float installed, flip the carb upside down and make sure the float sits level or just a tad higher on the opposite end of the needle. There is a bendable tab that pushes the needle into its seat to make adjustments.
To high a float adjustment will cause the situation you describe.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
richard3529
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have been following this thread since I have the same problem. I have tried everything suggested including a new carb this morning. Still have the issue with cranking. Like you, not sure what to try next.
richard3529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well looks like it was the valves. I went through the carb again, float was good. One of the intake valve rockers was pretty tight on the cam. They were all off a little. I didn't have a feeler gauge so I just tightened the adjuster screws down, then backed it off about 1/4-1/2 turn.
It started up and backfired a couple of times and blew out some black smoke. After running it for a few minutes it seems fine. I'm going to adjust the valves again when I get a gauge.
Hope this update helps someone.

By the way I also adjusted the governor screw down on the carb after reading somewhere you can get a little more speed. It seems to have a little more bottom end now. But that doesn't really matter the **** thing runs again.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Glad you figured it out. Valves should be like .004-5. Read where lots of folks turn till touching then back off 1/4 turn. Perfect? No but close. Just make sure the cam lobes are pointing away from the rocker
Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Glad you figured it out. Valves should be like .004-5. Read where lots of folks turn till touching then back off 1/4 turn. Perfect? No but close. Just make sure the cam lobes are pointing away from the rocker
Yeah thats exactly what I did. Like I said I'm going to adjust them again with the feeler gauges for peace of mind. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Can't hurt but I would wait until the next oil change. No reason other than being lazy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO