lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
hsvbcb
Not Yet Wild

Default 06 36v PDS TXT start stop under load

Sorry if already posted but I searched a lot of threads and was not able to resolve. Also apologies for length of this post, but I wanted to be thorough in describing the problem.

SYMPTOM: Key on, Fwd or Rev and cart will roll a few feet then stop and no response to the pedal, other than solenoid click and buzzer when in Rev. Key off wait a few minutes and will roll again for few feet then stop and no response to pedal.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
1. Downloaded manuals from this site.
2. Put in diagnostic mode and only received 1 beep indicating all terrain. Never got any additional fault codes. Have tried this several times and every time only the single beep.
3. Started following trouble shooting instructions starting on page F-5 for PDS:
a. Ref voltage 37.55V after charging overnight (per other posts I understand this is lower than desired 38.2V. Could this really be the issue?
b. Tested pedal switch under floor for continuity and worked properly.
c. Tested solenoid for continuity and passed.
d. Moved on to troubleshooting tree step 1 starting on page F-10 through F-11. Made it all the way to Step 15 which indicates I have a bad motor.

Perhaps I'm in denial or more likely hoping one of you SMEs can point me in a different direction to test something else before I go through pain to drop this motor and buy another one. One note, while cart is up on jack stands and during troubleshooting key on, Fwd, throttle pressed to floor--it will turn for 4-5 sec then stop/beep. If I only depress <full throttle, turns continuously. Is that how its supposed to work with speed sensor?

I saw scottyb's sticky on diagnostics and testing the ITS, but figured I'd better confirm with him or other SME before I go too much further.

One last bit of TMI, I purchased this cart in May2009 from a local cart shop (no longer in business). It was a fleet car with stock tires. I had the dealer put a Jake's lift kit and 22" tires on it. I didn't know better at the time but looking into it now, it has a 36V 300A Controller. I didn't know to ask and dealer didn't offer (or know) to upgrade the controller. Again, could this be the problem? We've driven this thing up some steep grades with 4 adults periodically for almost 7 years...did luck finally run out?

v/r
Lost in the Sauce.
hsvbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 06 36v PDS TXT start stop under load

Rolling a few feet and nothing more indicates the control is precharged and trying to work but the high amperage supply is not coming in.
In this case I suspect the solenoid may be clicking but not actually making the hi-amp connection. Remove the pre-charge resistor from the large solenoid terminals and test with a voltmeter to see if power goes through the solenoid when it clicks.
To save re typing troubleshooting a solenoid is here on my website.

cartsunlimited.net Ezgo troubleshooting
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
hsvbcb
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, I'll try it tomorrow and report back!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
hsvbcb
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb, neophyte question....I have a pds which means I have a sepex controller...correct? The reason I ask, as I read the solenoid troubleshooting instructions from your website, its for a series controller. Same procedure?

{Solenoid test is done with the resistor removed from one large terminal. You should always have pack voltage (+) on the side connected to the batteries. When the small terminals have (+) and (-) to them the solenoid should CLICK and pack voltage should be present at both large terminals. If no, the solenoid has failed. If (+) and (-) are not present at the small terminals when the pedal is pressed, a problem exists within the solenoid activation circuit. This circuit consists of a series of switches and is easily traced using the solenoid activation circuit diagrams available on the forum. The switches are activated in this order: Reed switch – F&R micro switch(ms) – key switch – Foot or pedal box switch. All of these switches must work before the (+) side of the solenoid activation is delivered to one of the small posts (red wire)}
Old 03-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

just test the solenoid and tell us if it's working.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
hsvbcb
Not Yet Wild

I removed the resistor from the controller side. Hooked battery back up and have pack voltage on battery side of solenoid and is 0.57V less on the controller side. I don't understand what to do next. Instructions say-"When small terminals have (+) and (-) to them the solenoid should CLICK...."

Am I supposed to put a jumper across the small terminals on the solenoid in this step? Or just measure each from Battery-?

Just don't want to screw something up. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
hsvbcb
Not Yet Wild

I know Scottyb is busy with real work and helping others. Can anyone else clarify the underlined portion of the instructions for me? I don't understand what its describing or what action it is:

Solenoid test is done with the resistor removed from one large terminal. You should always have pack voltage (+) on the side connected to the batteries. When the small terminals have (+) and (-) to them the solenoid should CLICK and pack voltage should be present at both large terminals. If no, the solenoid has failed. If (+) and (-) are not present at the small terminals when the pedal is pressed, a problem exists within the solenoid activation circuit. This circuit consists of a series of switches and is easily traced using the solenoid activation circuit diagrams available on the forum. The switches are activated in this order: Reed switch – F&R micro switch(ms) – key switch – Foot or pedal box switch. All of these switches must work before the (+) side of the solenoid activation is delivered to one of the small posts (red wire)

What is "(+) and (-)" representing?
Thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

In the Test Post section on the Home page Crash Test Dummy has a video on testing a solenoid. Maybe a visual will help.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
hsvbcb
Not Yet Wild

Thank you! I'll find it now.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
hsvbcb
Not Yet Wild

Thanks tag50, that helped.

Scottyb, thanks you for your patience. So it does appear that the solenoid is bad as I am seeing a voltage drop on the controller side.

I was looking on your website to order a new solenoid and would like your advice on whether to just replace the solenoid or if I should go ahead and upgrade the controller too since it was not done when the lift kit and tires were added years ago? The current controller is a part #73326G07. Our typical usage 4 days per week at a distance of about 2-5 miles on a mixture of paved road, gravel road with a few gentle hills in neighborhood. What do you recommend?
Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO