lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default DCX400 won't power up

I recently picked up an '02 TXT PDS that needed a motor and batteries but has a DCX400 controller that was "suppose" to be good. I had a motor I got from a neighbor so I put that in and a quick reading of the batteries showed 38 volts so I figured I had enough to at least test it, jacked it up, turned the key on put it in gear and nothing, no light on the controller. A quick reading on pins 6, 9 and 10 all showed pack voltage and when the throttle was pressed I think it was pin 5 that powered up. I also checked the F/R switch. So, I'm thinking that maybe the controller is bad, I put a stock controller in and give it a try after several times hitting the throttle with no response then the motor made about a half of a revolution then never again. thinking that there may not be enough energy left in the batteries I connected the DCX back up and jumped 36v off from my cart and sure enough the DCX blinked green 4 times and went solid but when I pressed the throttle I got 5 red blinks (open field). I wasn't overly surprised, when I got the motor the eyelet for one of the field wires was still on the post and had been cut off. So I separated the casing and sure enough the post had been spun and the field wires were broken off. I took the field half of the original motor and put it on the end bell from the motor that I had and put it back in. Well, now I am back to square 1, the DCX is not lighting up at all. The Alltrax troubleshooting guide only says to check pins 6, 9 and 10 but nothing after that. In the run position I have power at all 4 terminals on the run/tow switch. My hearing is not what it used to be but I don't think I have heard the solenoid click when it should so I ran a lead from battery + to B+ on the controller essentially bypassing the solenoid and still no lights.

What am I missing? Could something wrong with a motor to cause a controller to not even power on.

I see that Scotty B has one of these controllers on sale so I thought I should try and get this figured out sooner than later

Thanks
Rob
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCX400 won't power up

When you have pack voltage on controller Pins 6, 9 & 10, the LED should illuminate, if you have the controller's B- terminal connected to the battery pack's B- terminal.

Connect your DVM's negative test lead to the controller's B- terminal and check the voltage on Pins 6, 9 & 10 again.

Also check the connections between the pins in plug and the mating connections on the jack.

Unless the LED illuminates, bypassing the solenoid is a waste of time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you mean pins 6, 9 & 10 at the controller? I believe pin 10 on J1 is the reverse buzzer

I have PV (pack voltage) on pins 9 & 10 at the controller but pin 6 at the controller is down .6v of PV,

Thanks
Rob
Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yes, at the controller. I corrected my post.

The pack voltage going to Pin-6 passes through one of two diode in the adapter, so 0.6V lower is correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS - In Forward - Pin-6 traced.jpg (327.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS - In Reverse - Pin-6 traced.jpg (328.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS - Pin-9 traced.jpg (322.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS - Pin-10 traced.jpg (321.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So with the correct voltage on pins 6,9 & 10 and the fact that it worked the other day do I have a bad controller that works when it feels like it? I have a couple stock controllers I'm going to swap one out again and see what happens.

Be right back
Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Stock controller works just fine today. Looks like my "Supposedly" working DCX controller only works sometimes

Thanks for your help JohnnieB
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO