lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
Intrnlstorm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2008 RXV vs 2002 Txt

I'm new on this side of the fence. I spent lots of time reading over on the Big Block side when I went through my V-Twin swap. Now I want that same power/torque out of my Electric cart and need help on some decisions.

First I primarily use it at my campground in the Adirondacks in upstate NY. We have hills and some off road trails. I will be carrying a full load, 4-5 adults up those hills some days and just my family (2 adults & 2 children) the rest of the time.

I just bought a 2002 Txt 36volt PDS model and then last weekend instead of selling my gas V-twin I traded for a 2008 RXV. The RXV has a lift, 23" tires and he said it was programmed to do 30MPH, Not sure about this because at 22mph I start to feel uncomfortable and let off. Now I have both carts and need to decide what to do with each. When putting the new RXV on the tilt trailer I stopped and couldn't get it to go forward even with fully charged batteries - stalled. I backed up and tried again without stopping and it finally made it up. My V-Twin would've just peeled out and went.

1. Do I sell the RXV and build the '02 from the ground up? I already spec'd out a motor from D&D and an alltrax controller that I like. I like the fact that I can program the Alltrax. I like the design of the RXV but I want more control over programming and modifications in the future.

2. Am I missing something with the RXV? Does anyone sell an aftermarket controller for it?

I just don't want to get rid of the '02 and regret my decision to build it if the RXV isn't going to be "good enough"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9427.jpg (163.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9443.jpg (233.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9430.jpg (99.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9444.jpg (211.6 KB, 0 views)
Intrnlstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 RXV vs 2002 Txt

well PERSOANLY.....considering what you are going to use your new '02 PDS cart for....I wouldn't build it. PDS carts (SEPEX Drive) are not truly made for that type of use....a SERIES drive TXT is.

I can't answer your questions about your RXV.....I have no knowledge of their workings, but I am sure others will chime in.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 2010 RXV and it does most of what I want it to do including off roading and hill climbing. It'll 26 mph easily and maintain most of that going up the few hills we have in my area.

From my very little research there isn't much in the way of controllers and motors for upgrades. The controller does have an upgrade available but it is super costly and is on back order from ezgo. I know bobboyce on here found a cheaper route but I don't know that it gives you the upgraded power. I think he did some mods to his.

Additionally, I could be wrong, but i think the way RXV is designed it will not peel out. It will limit the motor if it detects that happening...again, I could be wrong.

For the most part, i'm amazed at what mine has done. Its my first cart so i dont have anything to compare it to, but i tell other cart owners what I do daily and they are impressed. Mine has pretty good power except if you need torque from a dead stop. For example popping a curb with the back tires from a dead stop or going over logs etc. I need a little bit of movement and I can go over it easily. From what I've seen on youtube of txt style carts that have been heavily upgraded that is not an issue.
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i think you need to go with a leaf or volt type battery setup at roughly 72v or greater to get a v-twin like performance out of an electric....from what i read on here-your pds should be a better choice for what i perceive you want...i have a 36v series and it has good torque,but it is slow up a hill....i live in very steep mountains of WNC and if ever spend $$$ it will be for a leaf swap...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I think I'm near where mutant is. Lots of steep hills and grades. The RXV is rather limited for torque as compared to a good strong series motor. If larger diameter tires are installed it makes a BIG difference in the ability to torque your way up inclines.

I crashed my RXV into a tree recently when it went wide open throttle as I was turning into my driveway. I had installed the 350 amp upgrade controller and 2 guage wires for the battery circuits. It made a very noticable difference in torque. However, you really need to keep track of motor temperature if you feed the beast with more current

The upgrade controller is rather expensive from E-Z-GO and is on a lengthy backorder. I'll be travelling to central NC in a few days (after surgery in 2 days) and I will be pulling that upgrade controller and 2 guage wire set out of the carcass of my RXV. I'll probably offer that upgrade kit for sale, as I'll not be needing it anymore. IF I repair the RXV, it will be going back to the stock controller and stock wires, and will likely be going up for sale.

As others have recommended, you're probably looking for a 48V TXT as a good electric cart to convert into something you would like. Keep in mind that to convert a 2008 RXV to an upgraded controller, you would have to convert from a Danaher controller wiring harness to connect to a Curtis controller. The upgrade controllers are Curtis.

I hope this helps

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In my personal opinion, based on what I have read and what I have experienced with my RXV, the wheel tire combination on it is too big for the stock controller or you need to upgrade to the 350 amp Curtis controller and wiring harness.

If you want to try the cheap route and downsize tires I bought some cheap set of 10 inch wheels with 20 inch overall (19.75) tire size from surplus center a couple of months ago, price was just about $130 for set of 4 probably pull offs on plain black rims. With this combination and unlocked 19.5 mph controller on stock tires, I get right at 23 mph top speed by GPS. Have no need to get a running start to load on the trailler either.

Ike

p.s. here is the thread on the cheap tires http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...combo-rxv.html

also my generally feeling is the RXV is a great cart for stock or mild mods, tires up to 20 maybe 21 inches, slight lift, maybe, ... so it just depends on your goals, if you want a monster mod cart the RXV is probably not the best choice, if you just want it to get you there then it may be right for you.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
Intrnlstorm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I want to thank everyone for their time to answer my question. I've been reading a lot and I think I'm going to drive the RXV for a while and see if I like it as it is. There are some hills and trails around my house so I should be able to put it through the paces. If it's not what I really like I'll sell it in the spring and build the other one this winter. I wish there were other options for the RXV like there is for the older EzGo carts. Thanks again everyone.

Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intrnlstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

1) You cannot program a RXV to 30mph.

you can install high speed gears.
this combined with larger tires KILLS torque.

With normal RXV gearset, cart pictured should top out at @23mph+/-

With normal gearing and pictured setup --- cart performs well and has reasonable speed/hill climbing ability.

upgraded controller increases torque not speed.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

HiTechRedNeck, I think your calculations are off, mine has 20 inch (19.75) tires and I get top speed of 22-23 by GPS on flat land. Cart pictured has 23 inch tires which should top out around 29 mph on flat land, but kill the available torque
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Jkry2121
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
HiTechRedNeck, I think your calculations are off, mine has 20 inch (19.75) tires and I get top speed of 22-23 by GPS on flat land. Cart pictured has 23 inch tires which should top out around 29 mph on flat land, but kill the available torque
No 6 inch lifted Rxvs turned up with 23 inch tires run 26. Fast golf carts always feel faster than they are. It's unstable (and legally not a golf cart..) so HiTech and I don't let them leave our shop that fast. The only cart (non lsv) I've gotten to 29 was a TXT HiTech was driving.. Did I mention it was just a rolling chassis with no seats or body? never again. OP if you are gonna put 4-5 adults on an electric golf cart and you wanna run up hills build that RXV. Make sure you have good/new, preferably Crown, batteries in it. If not please get NEW Crown batteries. Water once a month after a full charge, always leave it plugged in. Electric and "off road" always scares me. Just remember to not bog down your cart as that creates heat.
Jkry2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO