lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
Twincam47
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 12v-8v dilemma

sp "dilemma"

My local golf cart service company is telling me that they will sell me anything I want but they said here in Texas 12v or 8v batteries are only good 3-4 years.

I have read all the threads about converting my 12's to 8's but nothing about parts of the country where weather/temperature can affect longevity.

Any Texans or others want to comment?
Twincam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default re: 12v-8v dilemma

Well, in my neck of the desert, 12v batts don't seem to usually make it long past 4 years. I don't consider them "5-year batteries" by any means. But, we have heat, hills, and golf courses booked full. To maximize range & battery lifespan, convert to 8v & get the highest capacity ones you can (there are generally 3 capacity levels).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here in Texas covers a lot of territory. It can go from hill country to coastal to freezing to moderate temps in the winter from swamp land to desert. I think you can see what I'm getting at. In which one of these extremes are you located so that batteries only last 3-4 years.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
Twincam47
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Houston
And battery longevity for 3-4 years was from a cart repair service that sell Trojans. I have only had the cart about a year and a 1/2. Batteries are 12v and stamped 9 & 10 of 2013. They appear to still be OK or at least marginal. I am just preparing for their replacement.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Houston shouldn't be any different that the other side of the Gulf in Florida. Never heard of any problems when we lived there. Is he trying to sell you anything else like lithium batteries?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
Twincam47
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Negative. He is just saying that 12v and 8v have the same battery life down here. He is willing to sell me either.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #7
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Here in hot south florida guys at my club have had a set of trojans for 5-6 years believe it or not! Still going 18 holes.

If I were you I would buy the highest capacity 8v batteries. Like it was mentioned, they will give you better longevity.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
Here in hot south florida guys at my club have had a set of trojans for 5-6 years believe it or not! Still going 18 holes.

If I were you I would buy the highest capacity 8v batteries. Like it was mentioned, they will give you better longevity.
One thing to keep in mind is a shop is run by an individual and an individual usually sells their opinion; that does not mean it is right or wrong it is simply their opinion...

First off 12 volt GC batteries "TEND" to not last as long as 8 volt GC batteries as the cells are more densely packed in an attempt to fit them into similar weight and/or size groups. 2ndly by going to 8 volt batteries not only can your longevity be extended but your useful range will most certainly be extended as you can store more energy in 6 8-volt batteries than you can in 4 12-volt batteries...

If you're not experiencing any range issues you may want to stay with 4/12's but if so or you could make use of more range then make the switch to 6/8's...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 12v-8v dilemma

six 8 volt batteries are going to last longer than 4 12 volt batteries no matter where you are.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car