lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default Help with replacement engine

Hi there. I have an EZGO Shuttle 295cc year 2000 cart.

My mods so far are 20 inch wheels (no lift), HD rear springs, custom built 28 degree driven clutch milled and with a spring.

Things are a little complicated for me as I live overseas in a golf cart only island community and need everything shipped and able to bolt straight on.

I need a new engine. My local mechanic's rebuild was a failure and the cart still really struggles on the hills.

My constraints are that I can't lift the cart (my wife complained my last cart was unstable after I did this) and I don't want a noisy single cylinder big block as this is family cart.

This means I either need to
(i) pay the US$2,500 for the replacement OEM Robins 350 engine and fixing kit
(ii) go for something like the Centerbuilds http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-GO-375-Pr...pScBWc&vxp=mtr (I previously tried ordering from Motors and More, who will sell you an old core, but gave up after about 6 weeks when they became unresponsive).
(iii) find a big block and "off the peg" muffler solution that really is reasonably quiet, and fits on an unlifted cart. I don't want to customize so would need an "off-the-peg" muffler.

On (i), this is expensive, but is my default choice as this is our main family vehicle. However, I would like more power as it's really hilly here.

On (ii), I would need to find a 295 core in the USA. There are old 350 cores on eBay, but I've never seen a 295 second hand core. I can't ship a core into the US as the costs are prohibitive. How reliable are these modified engines with the increased stresses and strains that they are under? Does anyone know who would sell a core?

On (iii), previous advice has been to customize a car muffler to quieten the big block, but I would need to buy off-the-peg muffler given my circumstances. Has anyone done this with a reasonably quiet result?

Any thoughts on where I could get a second hand 295 core? Any other thoughts on the above or other options?

Many thanks, Peter
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

Default Re: Help with replacement engine

I can't be the only one dying to know where this magical golf cart island is.. haha I think what you need is someone willing to sell you a big block motor with 'bolt in' engine mounts and an already proven and tested custom exhaust (possibly lightly used). Unfortunately I cannot help, as I am a 2 stroke guy and for me the exhaust came off of a Suzuki dirt scooter and it is anything but quiet! Haha hopefully someone with a 2000 shuttle can hook you up with the custom parts you need.
clr.R4tch3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

CT Rebuilds are great people to work with and their engines are top-notch, I've used them for both personal and customers carts for years. Carrie is easy to work with, give her a call at 706-533-2698 and maybe she can work through your core issue. Their 375 is definitely a noticeable increase in torque over the stock 295 and 350's, that's definitely the way i would go if it were possible.

As to "off the peg" mufflers for the Big Blocks, that's something that has been eluding a lot of us for awhile now, LOL. We've tried everything from Motorcycle to Generator to Car mufflers, and the end results are always much louder than a stock Golf Cart
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Thanks both. The mystical island community is Discovery Bay in Lantau, Hong Kong, where golf carts cost you crazy sums of money. Only 490 licenses exist for a community of over 20,000 and growing. We are always in the press for our crazy price of golf carts, but you are really you are really paying for a licence to own one. I'm sure there are other DB guys lurking on the forum.

I did speak to Carrie some time ago as I liked the sound of the CT solution. She was very nice, but couldn't help on the core. I think international engine freight may also have been an issue for her - you can't just mail these things!

My local mechanic just told me that another cart owner has the Robins OEM 350 11hp replacement engine shipped over here and that this is now a much faster cart. Just trying to find someone who will ship internationally. Gilbert Golf carts isn't responding to email and I may try calling them later. Any sponsors here who sell engines and ship internationally?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Just called Gilbert Cars. Really helpful guy called Gary. However, sounds like the 350 OEM engine may no longer be in production. Strange as the retro fit kit is still sold. Will let the forum know if interested.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO