lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
jsmith294
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Use of a 48V bulb for headlight...

Our 2003 CC DS (series, 48V) is rigged with an automotive style fog light for a headlight with a halogen bulb. You can see it mounted above the bumper in the attached photo). I assume it is a 12V bulb because the PO has it wired between the first two batteries. It very bright and gives all the light we need at the low speeds (.LT. 15mph) and on the sand roads where we drive the cart (no auto traffic).

I am running no accessories other than this light. Rather than using a voltage reducer, I am inclined to use a 48V halogen bulb in the fixture and wire it between all six batteries:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEC-Industri...0AAOxy-8pSZril

Has anybody wired their headlights like this? Any disadvantages? Thanks.

PS - Was this light setup (the automotive style fog light with halogen bulb) OEM or did somebody throw it together? It does have a fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1215.jpg (210.7 KB, 0 views)
jsmith294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Use of a 48V bulb for headlight...

Seen it, it works
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
jsmith294
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Seen it, it works
Does it work well? Any negatives other than still not having a 12V supply for future accessories?
Old 09-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Or check these out. Lot less current draw. https://www.amazon.com/Offroad-Light...ht+bar+48+volt
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
jsmith294
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Or check these out. Lot less current draw. https://www.amazon.com/Offroad-Light...ht+bar+48+volt
The power draw with this amazon.com unit is a little lower than for 48V H3 halogens (35W vs. 45-55W), but not out of line with what I would expect to see with a halogen to LED conversion. Going to from a 12V H3 halogen to a 48V H3 halogen should cut current draw by up to 75% (the bulb types have similar power ratings).

Surely somebody has used 48V bulbs for their lighting. I understand that everybody does not use lights with H3 bulbs and that many people want to run other 12V accessories and will eventually need a reducer. However, for my application - an H3 fog light with no other accessories on non-street legal cart - the 48V replacement seems to be a simple, effective, inexpensive alternative to battery rotation or a complicated voltage reducer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car